Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Getting Barry Backup For Kubuntu 8.10(Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Getting Barry Backup For Kubuntu 8.10(Solved)

I'm completely new to Kubuntu and need some help figuring out how to get Barry Backup for Kubuntu 8.10. I've checked the regular repositories and oddly, it is not available that way. Barry Backup is my preferred software with my Blackberry device. I especially like the controlled charging function for it, using a USB port, since the charging is done properly for the Blackberry.

I've used Mandriva and OpenSUSE, both of which have Barry Backup in their repositories, so it's easy to install. If anyone is using Barry Backup and can walk me through the download and installation for Kubuntu 8.10, I would really appreciate the help. Google didn't really find anything for me I understood.

Everything else seems great with Kubuntu and I have everything else I need. Just this one missing application!

Thanks in advance,
    zenarcher
    Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Re: Help Getting Barry Backup For Kubuntu 8.10

Do you mean this:
    GTK+ based GUI for backing up the RIM BlackBerry Handheld
    Barry is a GPL C++ library for interfacing with the RIM BlackBerry Handheld.
    This package contains a GUI application for making backups and restores.
    If yes: It is in the Jaunty (1) repositories.

(1) Jaunty Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.2
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098988.0

One way to get it:

Go to Ubuntu Packages
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Search packages:
    - libbarry0
    - barrybackup-gui

Download and install (Right click package -> Open With -> GDebi Package installer)

Alt + F2 : barrybackup (i don't have BB so...)
    Attached Files
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Yes, thank you! That is exactly what I am looking for. One more question, perhaps you can answer, since I'm not really familiar with this Debian package system. I see there are several dependencies required for each of those packages. Will those automatically be installed, if needed, as well, or would I have to do a search for each one, to see if it is installed and install them first?

Thanks once more,
      zenarcher
      Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Comment

I see there are several dependencies required for each of those packages. Will those automatically be installed, if needed
        Yes, that is the idea of package management. Package manager will install packages that would satisfy dependencies - if it finds them from the repositories.

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thank you very much for that. As I say, this is my first experience with Debian packages.

Cheers,
          zenarcher

Comment

Interesting thread - I have a company Blackberry. The Blackberry software is notorious for trashing windows installations. When I installed it on mine I was unable to launch explorer without hitting ctrl+delete then task manager then running explorer. exe. Windows reinstalls did not fix this and so I ultimately had to wipe the lot and start again.

I have been desperate to see a linux version - think our IT guy will be interested too as he runs Ubuntu.

First runs have been encouraging although it took a few goes to get my first test backup. However, I could only get the program to work by launching it from a terminal as sudo. Is that right? Running as user caused the program to load with the following error message

Code:
            (-1, error sending control message: Operation not permitted): Probe: GetConfiguration failed
            I assume it's a permission problem - does anyone have any idea how to fix it (or is the behaviour I am experiencing correct). I'm running kubuntu 8.10 and so I am by now conditioned to expect the unexpected

Ian

Oh, by the way I can confirm it does charge the battery properly too

Comment

I am having the same permissions problem that you see and hope someone can come up with a solution. Yes, I also notice that the charging system is working correctly, even with the permissions issue.

I have used the Barry Backup with Mandriva Linux for quite some time and I can tell you that it works very, very well. No problems, whatsoever, so once we have it working with Ubuntu, we should be good to go. I don't run Windows here except for one machine, which my wife uses for some gaming, but I've not experienced any issues using Barry Backup. I use it on her Linux machine with her Blackberry and on my machine for my Blackberry. I would certainly suggest that you have your IT guys take a look at it.

Cheers,
              zenarcher

Comment

Re: Help Getting Barry Backup For Kubuntu 8.10(Solved)

Well, I figured out why the Blackberry packages weren't working for me and why I was getting the error when trying to use it. It seems it was just a misunderstanding on my part, as to what I downloaded and installed.

I read what the poster said about finding the package libbarry0 and downloading it, which wasn't exactly what I needed to do. Probably my own misunderstanding on that.

Anyway, I downloaded and installed these two complete packages (I'm using the 64 bit system):
                barry-util
                barrybackup-gui

I used the link provided in the earlier post. When installing barry-util, I discovered that I had been missing one package, since I had only downloaded libbarry0, previously. The additional package was installed and the Barry Backup then worked perfectly for me! That was the only application I was missing with Ubuntu. I was then quickly able to back up my Blackberry and the charging application, using a USB port works just as it should.

My wife and I each have different Blackberry models, so I installed the packages for her on her machine and installed them on my machine...and the Barry Backup is working fine with both models, as well.

Cheers,
                zenarcher

Comment

Thanks for that

The additional package has made it run as user. Seems to work very well!

Ian

Comment

You are more than welcome for the additional information. I just had to get it working in Ubuntu, as it's impossible to charge the Blackberry from a USB port without the packages installed. The Blackberry is extremely particular about the rate of charge, as I'm sure you know, if you have one. I've used it for quite some time in Mandriva and been well pleased with the performance. Now, it's working perfectly in Ubuntu, so I am not without a single application I miss from Mandriva...and have even more than I did there.

Cheers,
                    zenarcher

Comment

Working...
                    X