This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

system will not shutdown properly

When I shutdown everything goes fine all the way down to the final KUBUNTU logo. The blue bar shrinks and the hard drive is active, but after the blue bar disappears, system just sits there, with logo displayed. I have to press the power button to shut it down to "power off".
    I installed Sunday morning and it shutdown OK until some updates and adding a few ports. Any thoughts?

Re: system will not shutdown properly

I don't have a fix. But, you can edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (as root) and remove the quiet splash kernel options:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=7fdf0d2b-dd11-441c-a577-4936232049f2 ro quiet splash
    (this is from one of my kernel line entries in my menu.lst file)

Save and close the edited file. At your next shutdown, you will see what's going on. Most likely you will see a final message of System halted (which is what I see). I then have to push/hold the power button as well. I only had my laptop actually power-down once.

This is an annoyance, but not a deal breaker.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

IIRC, there's probably a BIOS setting there. If it shows System Halted and freezes, you might need to find and set the "Power Down" mode to "Suspend" from "Stand By" or something.

Comment

On my laptop, the behavior is to shutdown the "system" but it doesn't "power off" the PC, even though that is the setting I have in System Settings > Advanced > Session Manager. These are my settings:
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for replies.
          It powered down a few times after fresh install. After updates it shuts down but does not power down.
          Nothing would have changed in BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by bighoot
            Nothing would have changed in BIOS.
            Agreed. Something in the controlling files got changed.

Comment

These are the pertinent files in /sbin:
              -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 51068 2008-09-29 15:52 shutdown
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2008-11-01 15:27 halt -> reboot
              -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 42704 2008-09-29 15:52 reboot

Interesting that halt is a link to reboot. The settings in Login Manager are 'default' and does not specifically have a command for shutdown.

Attached Files

Comment

Try sending a terminate signal to init. Maybe it's init that's not terminating after all..
                Code:
                sudo init 0

Comment

Not sure how I would do that. Once I see the System halted, the terminal is non-functional. I can type, but no commands are executed when hitting Enter. The system has literally been brought down, but it doesn't issue the power down command to the BIOS.

Comment

Oh no.. I mean, Instead of Kicker->Leave->Shutdown, execute this command. It's function is something similar to sudo shutdown 0

Comment

Hmm. I'll test that now. I'll report back on the results.

Okay. Issuing sudo init 0 in a terminal immediately exits KDM and starts the shutdown sequence. But, it still only left me at the System halted line. Still had to power-off the PC with the power button.

Comment

Working...
                      X