This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing vmware

I really need to install vmware player which is free but Ive no clue how to install anything that's not in the package manager. It comes in a bundle or a rpm. Ive looked at some of the ways to install things but honestly its all gibberish to me. And everytime i try any consol stuff nothing works. All i ever get is file not found. So any help would be appreciated.

Re: installing vmware

Installing the player will not get you a virtual machine - in case you didn't know that. You still have to get or build the templates that are specific to the OS you want to install. That said, it really isn't that hard.

This is the site I went to to get the files necessary after VMWare Player is installed:
    VMWare Player Image Creation

You should also (highly recommended) get the VMWare Player 2.50 manual (in .pdf) from here.

Take some time to read and get to understand what is involved. Again, it isn't that hard.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well TYRRAM,
      Maybe I can help, I'm no guru or anything, just a Linux user.

On 8.04 I had no problem installing VMware, just download the proper TAR file. I'm on an AMD64 box, zo I downloaded the 64bit TAR.

Download--> extract-->cd into the vmware DIR--> ls and look for the file "vmware-install.pl"
      just type: sudo ./vmware-install.pl

Don't worry about all the options it's listing, just accept everything.

On 8.10 the TAR didn't work, so I tried the .bundle This file isn't a compressed TAR and should install immediately. Only the .bundle wasn't executable. You have change the executable bit of this file.
      You can "chmod +x file_name" or something. You can also right click on the file and and look for the "make executable" check box. That should do it.

The rest is basically the same: sudo ./filename
      After install an icon should be placed in your menu.

Its true you need a peinstalled virtual machine, http://www.easyvmx.com/ is pretty simple. Just experiment with these options, it's fun.

Just remember, every time you install a new kernel you must let "./vmware-config.pl" run again.

Let me know of this works.

Rob.
      AMD64 4800+<br />Asus M3N78 PRO with ExpressGate

Comment

I would also recommend VirtualBox.
        http://virtualbox.org

Download the non-OSE version (which, afaik, supports USB)

Comment

Working...
        X