This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video card problem, always have to use recovery mode to get 8.10 working

I have a NVidia GEForce 8400 and almost everytime I start 8.10 I have to use the diagnostic mode to fix xwindow and then continue booting.

If I dont use recovery mode, It says

usplash: setting mode 1152 x 864 failed
    usplash: using mode 1024 x 768
    19 total records in
    Kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot

...and then I get command line, no GUI...

I also cant use hardware video acceleration.....Under Hardware Manager I have Nvidia accelerated graphics driver version 173 and 177 available but I cant get either of them to activate...it says it is downloading the driver and then nothing happens.

any ideas?

Re: Video card problem, always have to use diagnostic mode to get 8.10 working

HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Video card problem, always have to use recovery mode to get 8.10 working

It worked! Video is HW accelerated now!

Again, this KDE 4.1 looks great, it may take a little getting used to, but it has a nice modern look to it! This 8.10 is looking so good I might have to get rid of my Vista partition...

Comment

Glad to have pointed you to the solution. Please return to your initial post in this thread, click the modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line.

Comment

Actually it's not completely solved. Envy did kinda fix the video driver problem. I have the nVidia video driver working now, and I have hardware acceleration working now, but sometimes I don't get a GUI when I boot up. I get the same error as before...Setting mode 1152 x 864 failed...etc

At least now when this happens I can get GUI just by doing STARTX. (Before I had to repair xwindows).

But then when I shut down - I get kicked back to the CLI - and I don't know how to shut down Kubuntu from the CLI.

Please advise, SnowHog or others

Comment

While your issue hasn't been resolved fully, to answer your last question:

When at the command line prompt, type:
            Code:
            sudo shutdown -P now

Comment

Working...
            X