X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4 and Intel 64 bit - ??

G'day People,

I'm not exactly a newbie but I've been having a problem of sorts and with KDE 4 and not exactly sure where to go with this.

Way back when a version of KDE 4 was released for use with Hardy I tried it and it killed my system, crashed the graphics bad. Ended up having to do a clean load, so I decided to wait until a stable Intrepid was released.

Well, I did the full upgrade last week and man what a mess. I ended up with either a 600 x 800 or something that was bigger than the physical screen if I went higher. I was no longer able to select my monitor by name and the nVidea driver seemed to be acting real weird. I even tried going back from my 22" wide screen TFT to a standard dimension 19" TFT, no change.

When I managed to get it to tell me about my hardware the system insisted I had an AMD 64 CPU with a nVidea graphics card and a basic CRT monitor. Partly right, I do have a nVidea graphics card but I've got an Intel 3 Ghz P4 dual core 64 bit CPU and Benq TFT monitor. When I tried to update the driver I got told it wouldn't work as I'd downloaded the Intel driver and Kubuntu insisted my system was AMD.

In the end I gave up and did another clean install of Hardy, but am frustrated I can't upgrade to Intrepid.

Does anyone know why the system would keep insisting I've an AMD system and why the upgrade couldn't properly detect what my system was?

On another issue, is there likely to be a KDE 4 desktop style that will allow me to keep a more KDE 3 look to the desktop as I'm kinda used to it and found the widget process a bit messy, especially for the bar at the bottom as I totally lost my quick launch bar?
    All errors are the fault of the gremlin in the server

Re: KDE 4 and Intel 64 bit - ??

Don't know if you're doing this already but my AMD64 nVidia thing only worked right after I insalled nVidia's own drivers. Upload said thing from their site. Mine says it's a CRT too, when it isn't. But I can get full ?1360x768 widescreen on a liquid chrystal TV by setting the resolution to 14??x and then fiddling with the TV's controls.

Nothing improves the morale of a submarine more than good food.

Comment

Add these to your repos.

# Rog131's repo
      deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ubuntu/ intrepid main
      deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/samrog131/ubuntu/ intrepid main

Among the plasmoids it will provide via Synaptic is a widget that acts like the "Quick Launch Bar". See below.

[img width=400 height=13]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1204/01wh8.jpg[/img]
      The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

I think the "AMD64" reference is a leftover misnomer from the days when AMD had the only 64-bit CPU. For some reason the Linux kernel devs adopted "AMD64" for the name of the kernel compiled for that architecture, and it continues to this day, unfortunately. So, just disregard that.

If you open the Konsole and run the uname -a command, you should see something like this:

Code:
        dibl@ibex:~$ uname -a
        Linux ibex 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Tue Nov 4 19:33:06 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
        If so, you're in good shape. If not, you might have installed the 32-bit version of Kubuntu, in which case you might have some confusion going on with the graphics driver.

Here's the recommended procedure to install the Nvidia driver and configure xorg.conf:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2816#msg152816

Comment

Thanks All,

I'll have another go during the week. But if it don't work this time I'll be extremely upset.

The last three times I installed it was a clean install with the Kubuntu 64 bit disc and only ever ran the Adept package manager to install anything and then used the upgrade tool as per the web site instructions, so I don't see how I could've ended up with a 32 bit install, unless something not right with the upgrade process. Iĺl try when I have time during the week and see how things go.
          All errors are the fault of the gremlin in the server

Comment

Working...
          X