This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote Desktop in win xp

Ok, be nice to me im just starting out in the linux world.

I am trying to remotely connect to my linux box at home from My work Computer (win xp pro). i have searched this forum and a few others but everyone is doing the reverse of what im doing.

1. I have the new Kubuntu 8.10. i have set up rdesktop to accept univited connections without prompting me. it also gave me an ip and port to use to try to connect. i have the port forwarded through my network to my pc

2. I have the "VNC Viewer 4" that i am trying to use to remotely connect.
    i hvae tryed every combination under the sun of my ip at home as well as the ip it gave me the port and my private ip within my home network and my computers name. the closest to connecting i have been was an error stating "unable to resolve host by name: the requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for. (11004)"

Help!
    What am i doing wrong
    thanks in advance

Re: Remote Desktop in win xp

Hi tangerine0469,

Just to triple check:

1. You should leave the default port for Krfb at 5900, OR you will also need to change the connection string (or other options) in your VNC viewer (which will probably also use 5900 by default).

2. The IP adress you should connect to from outside is the WAN address of your home router... ie, your external IP address.

3. Also, try adding :0 immediately at the end of your connection string in VNC viewer, ie. x.x.x.x:0

Other stuff that could cause connection issues may include your work firewall.
    Confucius says: If you enjoy your work, then you never have to work another day in your life.

Comment

Re: Remote Desktop in win xp

thanks that worked perfectly. well almost perfect, i need to try to get the resolution cleaned up a bit so m not going cross eyed because it is showing double. again thanks

Comment

Working...
      X