X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some newbi problems...plz help

Hi all,
    Im a new kubuntu user...just migrated from pclos...
    my main linux experience was in pclos for the last 3 years (which was a real good and satisfactory experience over all to be fare)and mandriva for a year b4 that..so the system now looks strange to me....
    got used to synaptic for software management&updates which was so fine& easy also pcc worked so fine for system management...but i see everything is different here...
    well the installation worked so fine and easy with no problems whatsoever...
    KDE4 looks and feels just MMMMMarvelllllous 8)
    but now as im going on im having some problems that i'll need your help with..
    1- my first and most urgent thing here...
    I cant connect to internet.... i have this ADSL connection that needs to be authentecated by a user name and pass everytime i boot the system ...
    its PPPoE connection... i dont know how to get that started
    can anyone tell me the steps for that plz?
    now im connecting from the win dualboot which is like a pain in the neck for me...cant wait to try the kubuntu connection
    2- i cant see the folder of my dualboot windows in dolphin...
    it used to show up in the mount folder in pcl... where shall i find it here?
    3- when i installed kubuntu i found myself ending up with one user...
    is there no root account in here??
    ill just settle for those 3 questions now and i hope to get a fast reply then ill search my way around and keep u updated:-)
    thx in advance
    God Bless......

Re: some newbi problems...plz help

Welcome !

2- i cant see the folder of my dualboot windows in dolphin...
    it used to show up in the mount folder in pcl... where shall i find it here?
    It could (should) be mounted in the /media.

3- when i installed kubuntu i found myself ending up with one user...
    is there no root account in here??
    > RootSudo
    Ubuntu Official Policy

The superuser can do anything and everything, and thus doing daily work as the superuser can be dangerous.

By default, the root account password is locked in Ubuntu. This means that you cannot login as root directly or use the su command to become the root user, however, since the root account physically exists it is still possible to run programs with root-level privileges. This is where sudo comes in...
    More > FAQ: Root Password
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

thanks for the info
      that is diffenately much different than what i was used to...i have much to learn here i see:-)
      that covers points 2,3 i think... now what about the internet connection??any ideas??
      im already suffocating in this win xp thing guys and cant wait to go back to see my new KDE4 8)
      God Bless......

Comment

Have you got knetworkmanager or network manager installed? with either of them you ought to be able to configure the connection.

They should be available by default.

What ethernet card do you have?

Comment

Another option on PPPoE, I think, is to go through a router, and set the router up with the username and password...that way you are always connected. I had this setup when I was using SBC DSL. Of course, if you don't have a router, then you would have to buy one...I no longer have this setup, so I can't test, but I'm sure you should be able to set it up...
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

ill go back now to kubuntu and check knetworkmanager or network manager...
            my adapter is marvell yokun adapter... i see eth0 is connected though...
            but its the connection to the network not to internet...
            Im already connected through a 4 port router but strange enough it doesnt have the option to save the user name and password...
            Im in Russia here....strange things can happen u know:-)lol
            ill check it and hope my next connection will be from linux....
            i am really suffocating in this XP tomb...
            God Bless......

Comment

back connecting from XP >
              well lets see now...
              in PCLOS when i wanted to configure such network i used to go to PCC (Pclos Control Center) (or i ccould just right click netapplet)--- choose "configure network" ---then i will find options as ethernet,wireless lan,ADSL...etc
              i used to chose ADSL and ask for manual configuration and get to add my user name and password... then i agree to let this connection start now and agree to let it start at boot and thats it... it was really that easy!!!
              is there anything like this here??
              when i open knetworkmanager i get options to add or edit only eth0&eth1
              no ADSL or such options...
              do u have here something like PCC??
              guys i was under the impression that KUBUNTU is a very advanced,easy and user friendly system but im really confused now!!
              or am i just a little lost and things will get easier??
              maybe its the depressive Windows effect :P..lol
              waiting ur reply guys
              God Bless......

Comment

If you look way down on the release notes:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810

you will see a note that knetworkmanager cannot manage connections with static IP addresses. Is that what your ADSL hookup needs?

Comment

Originally posted by the last samurai
                  guys i was under the impression that KUBUNTU is a very advanced,easy and user friendly system but im really confused now!!
                  or am i just a little lost and things will get easier??
                  It's always difficult to do something in a new way until you've done it, especially if the old way was different from the new way. My guess is that things will get easier for you and soon, your other experience will help pave the way.

I suggest we try something. Open a terminal, konsole might be a good choice, one way it can be opened is with Alt+F2 and enter konsole in the run dialogue box. When the konsole window opens, enter sudo pppoeconf and see what happens. Either it should start prompting you for answers or drop an error message that would point us in the right direction.

Of course, you could select konsole from the menu instead, if you prefer that method or you could run pppoeconf from one of the virtual consoles that you'll already know about from previous experience.

Comment

Working...
                  X