This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04-8.10

Alright, I have a problem with installing 8.10 from the disk; I know I'm not the only one. This is what I get repeated:

Buffer I/O error on device sr0 sector 1431616
    end request: I/O error, dev sr0, logical block 357904

So I wasn't too bothered by this, I just installed 8.04 [which works fine as do all other boot discs] and got the updates and upgrade the OS version over the net right? So I just let it go, wasn't the fastest of things but its ok, I had to go to work so I would just return and finish up. Well after all the stuff is down its time to install, so I let it, it gets about 40% done before it tells me it cant continue. So I rebooted to give it a chance to complete the updates that need it and now the issue is the Xserver. My first instinct is to just reinstall the damn thing but I don't know how, honestly I haven't discovered the differences between Ubuntu and Kubuntu to much other than KDE vs Gnome and Adept vs Synaptic. Anyway, below is the error I'm getting, how would I just reinstall it? Should I? I had no problems jumping a Ubuntu 8.04 to a 8.10 but I have always liked the KDE environment a little better.

Fatal server error:
    Could not create Lock file in /tmp/.tX0-lock

giving up..
    xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): Unable to connect to Xserver
    xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error
    xauth: Error in locking authority file /home/sanctus/.Xauthority
    Also mentions some "read only" stuff before this error. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: When I try to reconfigure it tells me it is broken or not completely installed

Re: Kubuntu 8.04-8.10

I am not sure whether your current install can still complete, you could try to use

Code:
    sudo aptitude upgrade
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    (if first command returns error and the second gives result, repeat the first)

If you decide to make a clean install, please make sure your CD is burnt correctly (you can check your current CD for defects if you boot from it and select the appropriate option). You might get better results while burning at 4x.
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Originally posted by JohanLingen
      I am not sure whether your current install can still complete, you could try to use

Code:
      sudo aptitude upgrade
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      (if first command returns error and the second gives result, repeat the first)

If you decide to make a clean install, please make sure your CD is burnt correctly (you can check your current CD for defects if you boot from it and select the appropriate option). You might get better results while burning at 4x.
      The first command went through, but I can see that anything has changed at all

Comment

I think you will be best served by a clean installation with a brand new CD.

However, if you want to try to 'save' the current installation, there are some more things to try, I guess. Then, a first step would be to check if there is a /tmp directory? If not, create one (mkdir /tmp).
        If there is a /tmp directory, ensure that the folder's permissions are correct:
        Code:
        chmod 1777 /tmp
        Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Originally posted by WeWereNotThere
          EDIT: When I try to reconfigure it tells me it is broken or not completely installed
          A couple of things you might try before reinstalling, use both with sudo because you need to be root.

Start Aptitude from the command line with no arguments, that way Aptitude will show up in visual mode. Then on the Search menu select Find Broken, that could help you determine if and what broken packages you have. You could fix them there if you are comfortable with visual mode Aptitude.

...Or, sometimes the command apt-get -f install will fix broken packages for you.

Comment

Working...
          X