Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some decent Fonts that make Firefox look like it does in Windoze!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some decent Fonts that make Firefox look like it does in Windoze!

Firefox has awful looking fonts. More than half the ones I have to choose from, sound like they come from Iran or Pakistan, what's up with that?

How do I get Firefox to look the way it does under Windows, instead of these cheesy cartoon fonts?

Re: I need some decent Fonts that make Firefox look like it does in Windoze!

The fonts I use are:

1. Verdana (from the msttcorefonts package)
    2. Terminus (from the xfonts-terminus package)
    3. Courier New

My setup in Firefox > Edit > Preferences > Content > (Fonts and Colors) Advanced is:

Proportional: Sans Serif
    Serif: Terminus
    Sans Serif: Verdana
    Monospace: Courier New

Uncheck "Allow pages to choose their own fonts"
    Confucius says: If you enjoy your work, then you never have to work another day in your life.

Comment

Does installing the package msttcorefonts give you the desirable outcome?
      Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Hi JohanLingen: was that question for me, or evans62 ??
        Confucius says: If you enjoy your work, then you never have to work another day in your life.

Comment

:-) That was indeed unclear. The question was meant for evans62, but if you think installing this package gives the outcome he desires, I guess he'd also like to hear it ;-)
          Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

Here's my firefox font settings.

If you are using a LCD monitor, go to System Settings>Appearance>Fonts and enable anti-aliasing. Configure it to use RGB and slight hinting.

Comment

mscorefonts? Why not try ttf-liberation instead? They are free - and not as in beer!
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

@ JohanLingen: No problem

I suppose I could also add to my original post to say that:

Installing the msttcorefonts package will give you a collection of the most popular microsoft fonts that you can then choose to use wherever... Actually, I use the Verdana font almost exclusively across my entire system, with anti-aliasing turned off between 0 and 15 points. Personally, this gives me the sharpest, most readable font.

I also use konsole extensively, and I think the Terminus font (at 11 or 12pt) looks nice and sharp there.

@ toad: I agree the liberation fonts are a great alternative, however, for my liking, they are just a touch too condensed.

Comment

If you are dual booting from system settings/appearance/fonts you can simply install all the fonts straight off the C:windows/fonts directory. Then you can use Times NR for example as your KDE font and then tell the system to apply those fonts to Non-KDE applications, including FF.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will try these when I get home. You can probably consider this SOLVED

Comment

Well, you need to mark it SOLVED yourself Instructions in my signature 8)
                      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                      X