This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 tries and 10 failures

I have downloaded Kubuntu 8.1 10 times and each time there is something wrong with the disk. Files are flawed and thus I cannot use the disk. I am fed up.

Re: 10 tries and 10 failures

Do you mean the md5sum on the downloaded ISO file does not match the md5sum for that file on the download site? Or you burned a CD but it fails the "Check for defects" test?

Comment

I'd try another disk -- this time from a different spindle.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If it's any help, I've downloaded 8.10 - hash checked okay, burned iso on minimum speed, verified data after the burn, had the cd self check - all reported as okay - and even the live cd option crashes.

Bottom two third of the screen end up solid pink (no, I did not choose pink), with some weird stripey stuff happening at the top. Anyone else?

Comment

Does it (the Live CD) get as far as the initial text menu? If yes, press F4 and choose "Safe Graphics". If no .... hmmm ... tell us about that graphics chip. Obviously there's a video issue there.

Comment

Safe graphics boot did it for me after days of wondering why it wouldn't boot into live mode for me

Comment

I usually make the "Alternate Install" CD, just because the Live CD hates my Nvidia card. But for 8.10 I bit the bullet and make a Live CD -- that's how I know you have to F4>Safe Graphics to get it to boot right.

Comment

Cheer for that dibl/Dart

It's my fault for not mentioning that I'm referring to the kubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso d/l. Maybe dibl is running the 64 bit version? It does indeed reach the initial menu, which is how I reached the CD self check option.

You've pointed me in the same direction and I'm well happy with that. I imagine that there will be a few people referring back for advice on this one.

The Ubuntu version works fine btw - without Safe Graphics.

Comment

Working...
                X