This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: linux uninstall

Fintan, I would agree that with 4G RAM, swap shouldn't need to be hit much if at all but what if it is a laptop that wants to hibernate, suspend to disk? Doesn't the hibernate file live on swap? I'm not sure what happens, maybe it goes somewhere else, I'm going to test that someday when I get a round tuit. You would need a swap of sufficient size to hold the contents of RAM, which, since I think it is compressed, still needs something in the neighbourhood of 1/2 RAM. I'm open to learn here, if you are certain about your points.

Comment

I have a laptop with 1 GB Ram and a 1Gb swap partition and I regularly hibernate it. Works fine. However, the majority of the stuff I do does not involve the system actually hitting the swap partition during use. If it did, I suspect I would have a problem hibernating, so to that end perhaps the 2x Ram equation may still have some relevance.

Comment

I am not sure about laptops, because I don't have (yet) one but I would be amazed if the hibernation file was larger than 1gig and I don't know if it lives on the swap. That might be interesting to check

But this is a good reference:
        http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroup...5-02/0041.html

Edit: we are leaving the theme of this thread, but just to add a small note:

Swap usage on my smaller system:

fintan1@fintanws2:~$ free
        total used free shared buffers cached
        Mem: 515980 448664 67316 0 17872 246348
        -/+ buffers/cache: 184444 331536
        Swap: 674688 0 674688
        You can try this using various apps. like ooo, gimp, vlc, mplayer and find out how much swap space you are actually using.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
          I am not sure about laptops, because I don't have (yet) one but I would be amazed if the hibernation file was larger than 1gig and I don't know if it lives on the swap. That might be interesting to check
          It will definitely have to be large enough to hold the contents of memory and naturally that will be related to what you are running at the time of hibernation. As I mentioned, I think it compresses to around half of the RAM used.

Actually, I monitor swap used dynamically with GKrellm as a dashboard. However, I don't have a system with the 4G of RAM that the OP does so I never need larger than 1G swap.

Originally posted by Fintan
          Edit: we are leaving the theme of this thread...
          Ack.

Comment

thanks guys!

Just FYI, I believe suspend to RAM does not actually use the swap file...it puts your laptop in a low power state, except for RAM, so that as long as your battery has a charge, you can resume. I believe there is also a hybrid suspend that uses both RAM and disk...not sure if this is what Kubuntu uses or not...

mm0
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
              thanks guys!

Just FYI, I believe suspend to RAM does not actually use the swap file...it puts your laptop in a low power state, except for RAM, so that as long as your battery has a charge, you can resume. I believe there is also a hybrid suspend that uses both RAM and disk...not sure if this is what Kubuntu uses or not...

mm0
              You are correct about sleep, suspend to RAM, what I was talking about and mentioned is hibernate, suspend to disk. Both are sometimes referred to as hibernate. Suspend to disk is useful for laptops, as it shuts down but lets you resume faster than a cold boot and at the same "place" in your apps. I like to setup to have it auto suspend to disk at 5% batt power, that way it saves me if I forget or am out of the room when critical power level is reached. ...or drunk or something like that. ;-)

Comment

doh! tells you how observant I am! thanks for the clarification!
                Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
                X