This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal card reader

I have an internal 3 in 1 card reader and have not been able to get it working. Most items about card readers seem to be about external ones and they usually seem to work fine. As one of us has mislaid the camera cable this is becoming an issue with my wife. All of the 3 drives are recognised by the system but I don't get this business about mount points. When I try to edit the device and give it a mount point of mnt/flash it tells me something is already using that and if I say go ahead it then changes my DVD drive to mnt/flash (huh ?). Also, having created a "mnt/flash" folder as per how tos it seems I already have a "mntflash" folder. I also edited the fstab file as instructed in how tos but when I looked later there were 4 different entries for the card reader, none of which I wrote. Any ideas ? I am running 8.04 and KDE 3 as I don't like the 8.10 desktop at all and immediately had problems with these silly widget things.

Re: Internal card reader

What might turn out to be helpful and make it a bit easier for people to know what is occurring on your system would be for you to post the contents of your fstab. Another place you might look is the mtab, as it lists what the system thinks it has mounted. Another way to get the mount information is enter the command "mount" (without the quotes) in a terminal. And, another thing that might give you more information would be to read the end of /var/log/dmesg after inserting a card in the slot.

We want your wife to like Kubuntu also, and she will once this minor detail is sorted.

Comment

All of the 3 drives are recognised by the system but I don't get this business about mount points
      Can I ask something simple? You can't mount a CD-Rom unless there is a CD in it - and most often it will mount automatically. Have you put a card in the card reader first, waited and then looked at your drives?
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Here is the result of mount:-

/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
        proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
        /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
        varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
        varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
        udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
        devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
        devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
        lrm on /lib/modules/2.6.24-21-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw)
        I/dev/sda3 on /home type ext3 (rw,relatime)
        securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)

Here is my fstab:-

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
        #
        # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
        <device> /proc auto user,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        # /dev/sda1
        UUID=bb4538a5-d2a4-4e08-8966-c2a43a69e275 / ext3 nouser,relatime,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
        # /dev/sda3
        UUID=2bbe50cd-1c6d-43d8-867a-a61d094676c2 /home ext3 nouser,relatime,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
        # /dev/sda2
        UUID=b973a7a7-c5e2-4baa-bb99-41cf91032882 none swap sw 0 0
        /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
        /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 auto user,utf8,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
        /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
        <device> /media/SD\040reader auto user,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        <device> /media/SD\040reader auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        <device> <mount\040point> auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        /dev/sdc1 /mnt/flash auto user,defaults,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
        <device> /mntflash auto user,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        <device> /mnt/flash auto user,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        <device> /media/cdrom0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        <device> /media/cdrom0 auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        <device> /media/cdrom0 auto nouser,noauto,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

Here is mtab with the card in the reader:-

/dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
        proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
        /sys /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
        varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755 0 0
        varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777 0 0
        udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
        devshm /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
        devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
        lrm /lib/modules/2.6.24-21-generic/volatile tmpfs rw 0 0
        /dev/sda3 /home ext3 rw,relatime 0 0
        securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0

I have tried putting a card in the slot and the light comes on but there doesn't seem to be anything happening in the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by mahutchinson
          I have tried putting a card in the slot and the light comes on but there doesn't seem to be anything happening in the OS.
          OK, after seeing that light come on, read the last few lines in /var/log/dmesg. If you system saw the card, it should tell you what it saw there.

[edit] I might also mention that my internal card reader is attached to a USB buss, it is seen as a drive just like an external one and works in a similar fashion.

Comment

Got busy and couldn't hang around to try and help. Now it looks like you are gone until next timeslice at your location. I'll post more here now but I have to leave and I don't know if I will be here tomorrow. That won't matter, lots of others will be here to help someone like you who is motivated, trying hard and responsive to gathering more troubleshooting data.

When I try to edit the device and give it a mount point of mnt/flash it tells me something is already using that and if I say go ahead it then changes my DVD drive to mnt/flash (huh ?).
            What do you mean when you say you try to edit the "device"? How are you trying that, what are you using to try that?

From your fstab (filesystem table):
            /dev/sdc1 /mnt/flash auto user,defaults,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
            Is this a line you wrote to fstab?

Also, having created a "mnt/flash" folder as per how tos it seems I already have a "mntflash" folder.
            Yes, you'll see something about that in the line just below the line you, presumeably, added for /mnt/flash above.
            <device> /mntflash auto user,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
            I assumed you added that line too.

Did you also add the next line which is:
            <device> /mnt/flash auto user,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

In short, how many of those lines did you add following the howto you mention? And, what howto are we talking about, was it for some other GNU/Linux distro or a Kubuntu howto.

Now look at those lines that are above what you wrote, like:
            To me those look like they could be associated with a card reader, did the system size those up on it's own when you installed? Before you edited fstab, did the camera card show up in "storage media"? Or, did you try and edit the fstab before you tried to see if the system could automatically find the card? I would have expected an icon for a removable device to have shown up on your desktop shortly after inserting the card or, at least, for it to be in the "storage media" accessible from the system menu on the taskbar. Unfortunately, the system I have with an internal card reader doesn't have Kubuntu on it at the moment so I am just working from theory in my mind and can't actually test this.

I hope you have a backup copy of the original fstab before you edited it. Since Kubuntu is crafted to give you an icon in "storage media" for removeable media and by clicking on it in dolphin it should auto mount and show up in /media, I would be tempted to put the original fstab back and let the system try to work as it is supposed to, I'm not really sure of all the implications of having too many lines for the same device in fstab but it doesn't seem wise. It is possible that you have a specific reason for wanting it in /mnt and I suppose we could find a way to manage that, or create a symlink for it but first it's probably a good idea to get it recognised and useable by your system.

If you don't have the original fstab (and thus have learned the value of backing up a file before you edit), try editing all the lines you added to fstab. You can do what is called 'commenting out the line' by inserting a # as the first character of the line. That # causes the system to ignore the line when the file is parsed for mounting.

It cannot hurt to mention if you are using 8.04 or 8.10, just in case there is some known issue that someone else here might know.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, faster. Keep at it though, this is not likely to be an unsurmountable problem.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. Although the light was on it seems the card was not inserted properly - I tried it again and it worked. I guess I am underestimating Kubuntu and assuming things don't work properly but am having to eat my words so far. Still don't like widgets tho.

Comment

Working...
              X