X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi connection

Hoping somebody can help here...
    I'm so sick of Windows, so I got Kubuntu up and running; the sad part is, it can't find any wifi connections in my house. I don't have any passwords, proxy servers, whatever; Windows connects just fine. Everything I can find says Kubuntu connects automatically, but I can't find any help for my problem!
    Thanks ahead of time!

Re: Wifi connection

To get a start, take a look at this wiki page (mostly Ubuntu- Gnome): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WirelessNetworking and this one (command line tools): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WirelessTroubleshootingGuide I found these by going to the Ubuntu Wiki home page and searching for titles with the word wireless.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that.
      Another problem I'm having is with screen resolution - it's stuck at 800 x 600, when my monitor is capable of much more. I tried editing the etc/x11/xorg.cfg file like other topics said to, but there are other resolutions in there already, and I can't save because it says it's a read-only file.

Comment

It's not a read only file. /etc/X11/xorg.conf just requires administrative privileges to change it, because a mistake can really mess up your system.

To edit the file from a konsole (K>System>konsole), enter "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf". Enter your password when asked. To edit it in a graphical editor, right click on the desktop, click on "run command", then enter "kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf", and enter your password when asked.

Two things to remember, (1)Backup the file first, from the konsole:
        Code:
        cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
        (2) Get the maximum and minimum values of the Horizontal Sync Rate for your monitor before you start.

Comment

Thanks, but it's not the file causing the problem - there are four different resolutions in there, all of which my monitor supports in XP, but the settings screen will only let me choose 800 x 600.

Comment

Working...
          X