This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing broadband connection

I suppose this actually needs to be in "Networking" but as I am a newbie and not quite up to technical speed with Linux, I think the answers will be of use to others starting Kubuntu.
    I have a wireless home network with all Windows PCs. I have a Dlink G640T router/modem connected to the ADSL line. I just built a Celeron900 running Kubuntu exclusively with a Dlink G520 PCI card. Everything configured well on install, and runs well ...... while it runs The issue is that, at some stage (I can't isolate the reason) my ADSL connection drops out and all PCs in my network can no longer access the internet until I reboot the router/modem.
    This only ever occurs when my Kubuntu system is running.
    Also, I am wondering if there is some way in Linux to access a function which I am aware of in windows whereby you can specify if the connection is powered on full time or it "hybernates"?
    Please help !!! It's driving me crazy.

Re: Losing broadband connection

I suggest that you try to get a general handle on wireless networking in (K)Ubuntu from the Ubuntu Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Home Search for wireless in Titles. Then, once you have a general feel, search for your specific wireless adapter.

Comment

Thankyou for your advice. I will do so. Just one point though, I HAVE done much searching and have not found anything that has been usefull in fixing the problem (maybe due to lack of skils) and I had to resort to asking.

Comment

It sometimes seems that you have to learn everything to understand the asnswer to a question about one little thing. But you really didn't learn how to use windows in the first week or two, either.

In addition, wireless networking is the single hardest area for new users starting to explore Linux. The wireless manufacturers provide M$ with detailed interfaces for their hardware. They'd be out of business if they didn't. On the other hand, they are reluctant to provide the same information to hundreds of Linux distributors because they'd be out of business if they did. So information about wirleless interfaces spreads slowly, by word of mouth. The Ubuntu wiki is gathering information from users about how they got (and kept) their wireless connections going. Please check it out. You might be favorably surprised.

Comment

Working...
        X