This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu ISO isnt bootable

I downloaded the install file from Kubuntu for 8.10 and when I burn it and try to boot my PC says the disk isnt bootable.... I can mount the ISO using magic ISO and it goes into the install, but for some reason the image just wont boot. I have tried other bootable discs that I have burned and they still work fine. Any suggestions?

Re: Kubuntu ISO isnt bootable

just a note, I tried burning to a DVD first, then two differend cd-r's just to make sure it wasnt the media. I also tried all three on a different computer same story.

Comment

What utility did you use to burn the .iso?
      Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Originally posted by Krys
        I downloaded the install file from Kubuntu for 8.10 and when I burn it and try to boot my PC says the disk isnt bootable.... I can mount the ISO using magic ISO and it goes into the install, but for some reason the image just wont boot. I have tried other bootable discs that I have burned and they still work fine. Any suggestions?
        Well Krys, ISO images don't boot, it is the CD that is created from the ISO image that has the necessary files for booting. If you only have the one file, the ISO image, on your burned CD, you didn't make a bootable CD from the image. I agree with divide0, we need to investigate the method you used for burning. If you provide step-by-step details of how you did it, someone can probably point out what needs to be done differently.

Comment

I used Roxio creator, set it to data and clicked add, then browsed to the ISO file. Roxio has a button on this screen that says "make bootable" but when you click it it just browses your pc for some boot file that I dont have.

Comment

It's not burning the .iso.

Try this program: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Krys
              I used Roxio creator, set it to data
              Right there is your error. I haven't used Roxio in a long while, but you need to set it to "burn as ISO" or "burn CD image" or whatever it offers -- NOT data.

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy
                It's not burning the .iso.

Try this program: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
                .... and when it's burned it, open it with Konqueror or Dolphin, if it has several files and directories on it, that's as it should be.

Don't forget to verify the burn, then Check CD for defects as well.

Good luck.

Comment

under Roxio i used burn as image and it worked perfect. Thanks

Comment

CD that is created from the ISO

ISO images don't boot, it is the CD that is created from the ISO image that has the necessary files for booting. If you only have the one file, the ISO image, on your burned CD, you didn't make a bootable CD from the image. I agree with divide0, we need to investigate the method you used for burning. If you provide step-by-step details of how you did it, someone can probably point out what needs to be done differently.
                    debt consolidation Single Leipzig

Comment

Re: CD that is created from the ISO

Originally posted by niaz009

ISO images don't boot, it is the CD that is created from the ISO image
                      Hmmmmmmmm. This prolly comes close to quibbling, but I would say "An ISO image of a bootable CD, when burned correctly on a blank CD ROM media, will result in a bootable CD."

That's what we do with ISO images of bootable Live CDs, right?

Comment

Re: CD that is created from the ISO

Originally posted by dibl
                        Originally posted by niaz009

ISO images don't boot, it is the CD that is created from the ISO image
                        Hmmmmmmmm. This prolly comes close to quibbling, but I would say "An ISO image of a bootable CD, when burned correctly on a blank CD ROM media, will result in a bootable CD."

That's what we do with ISO images of bootable Live CDs, right?
                        In case you didn't notice, dibl, that is a quote originally from tinker, further up the page.

That's twice i've seen this today.

Edited to add:
                        ... in fact, now i look, it's the third one.
                        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2936#msg152936
                        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2934#msg152934

Comment

Yeah aged, I noticed the same as you, kept reading it for more than the unattributed quote but nothing.....

@dibl I don't mind the quibble. Both of us are correct as far as it goes. The ISO image of a bootable CD only becomes bootable if it is burned correctly to CD. Naturally, the ISO image of a non-bootable CD won't become bootable just by burning it. By discussing this further, we may have made it more clear for some of the lurkers and that is a good thing. Please feel free to quibble with me any time to that end.

Comment

Working...
                          X