This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not another newbie....lost my factory panel :(

Hey guys, well I did the upgrade to 8.10 and as I was playing around with the settings...I've 'turned off' or disabled my bottom factory taskbar/panel.

Now I've spent 40 min messing with it and do not see a way of putting it back there with all the factory icons/shortcuts.
    Is there a easy way of doing this? I know I can add a panel to the top of the screen and move it down but it wont have any icons and such on it.

Also, just another question
    when I right click the desktop, go to desktop settings, I downloaded some new themes that I liked but when I go to the theme drop-down menu, they don't display there.

am I missing a application for theme installation?

thanks
    bart

Re: Not another newbie....lost my factory panel

You can right-click and unlock widgets, then go into the K Menu and right-click on any app you want and then select Add to Panel. Then, hit the cashew on the panel to bring up the resizer... while that is visible, you can move your icons along the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
      You can right-click and unlock widgets, then go into the K Menu and right-click on any app you want and then select Add to Panel. Then, hit the cashew on the panel to bring up the resizer... while that is visible, you can move your icons along the panel.

but there is no way to get my factory panel back up?
      Since I selected the option to 'remove' it, wouldn't there be some easy way to go and 'click' it back in within the system options?

Comment

Right-click on the desktop ->Add Panel.

But you will have to add widgets to it, application launcher, notification area, tray, etc.

Comment

do some searching...I saw something just the other day on how to do exactly what you are asking...it had to do with deleting a couple files, which will be recreated at login to their default value....

Alternatively, you can rename your ~/.kde directory, and everything (only settings) will be set back to default (IE: Wallpaper, panels, fonts, etc).

mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
            do some searching...I saw something just the other day on how to do exactly what you are asking...it had to do with deleting a couple files, which will be recreated at login to their default value....

Alternatively, you can rename your ~/.kde directory, and everything (only settings) will be set back to default (IE: Wallpaper, panels, fonts, etc).

mm0

Thanks for the reply.

I did a search earlier and found this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=11531.0

I installed 'Kcontrol' but I cannot find it anywhere at all.

I'm still lost on this, thinking about just reinstalling the whole OS but its still a bit time consuming

Comment

Originally posted by mr.rhtuner
              I installed 'Kcontrol' but I cannot find it anywhere at all.

I'm still lost on this, thinking about just reinstalling the whole OS but its still a bit time consuming
              Oh Sir, please don't take that reinstall approach as if this was a Windows installation. You are correct, it would be time consuming, and for a problem like this, unnecessary.

If you have kcontrol installed as you stated, you could open a terminal and enter kcontrol and the GUI should start. We could worry about finding it on the menu later, once you get your panel back the way you want.

Comment

Agreed, a reinstall is overkill.

Go into home, and from within dolphin select vie/view hidden files. You will then see a (hidden) file called .kde . Right click on it and call it something else (.kde-old?). Logout and then login again and your desktop will be as new.

Note however that if you have set up any kde apps like korganiser your data will be within the .kde-old file and you will need to copy to the new one.

Themes - They will be accessible via system settings/appearance.

Comment

Found the post I was talking about...check it out, you don't have to kill all your .kde directory...

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3098502.0

3rd post in the above thread.

mm0
                  Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Thanks guys...I didn't reformat and I deleted the .kde folder, restarted the pc and my panel is back

Do you guys know why when I go into the desktop settings, I 'download' a different new theme for kubuntu and I'm not able to select the theme I downloaded, it only shows me the factory themes.

Comment

Working...
                    X