This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.10 Installed!

Just finished installing Kubuntu 8.10 final release on my XPS M1330. Smooth and easy.

When I tried to install the daily build RC from CD it would not work unless I loaded the live CD first and then installed from the desktop.

So far so good
    KeyboardShortcuts.org | CouponCodeSwap.com

Re: Kubuntu 8.10 Installed!

Glad to hear it. How are you enjoying it so far? Next time you do an install try using unetbootin it's wonderful and fast. Installs straight from a USB thumb drive.
    Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Comment

There are still some minor bugs that I am finding. I really love the aesthics in Kubuntu with KDE 4.1.2. On my other laptop I have Ubuntu with Gnome. I think I'm going to write an article or two soon on both.
      Last edited by undoIT; Jan 25, 2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I had the same with installing.

Straight from CD, the install options went into an infinite loop. From the live cd desktop, no problems.

I've been using it now for a few hours, and I'm getting lots of random crashes.

Comment

I had a problem with the install option with the pre-release daily build, not the final release. Did you do an integrity check on the CD?
          Last edited by undoIT; Jan 25, 2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Yeah (with K3b). It could be that that's the build I had, as I downloaded what was linked to from distro watch. And, come to think of it, there was an update last night.

Anyway, what's the recommended way to try and debug these crashes that I'm experiencing?

Comment

You checked the MD5 with K3b?

Comment

Sorry, I thought you meant a post-write disc integrity check! Never mind, I'm sure it must have been an iso from just prior to official release.

Also, I have just noticed (holds hand up - NOW I've read the release notes...) that there seems to be problem installing sun's JRE. My system was crashing back to login screen when I was trying to install it.

I have had other crashes though...

Comment

I would try a clean install with Final release.

Comment

OK, will do and report back soon

Comment

OK, I have verified my iso with md5 and it is correct. It seems I'm not the only one getting random crashes that take me back to the login screen. I'll check out those threads now.

By the way, I think it's kubuntu 8.10 is really cool, and will be fantastic when it's more stable.

Comment

Working...
                      X