Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/pool

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/pool

I'm two days into Ubuntu/Kubuntu (and linux for that matter). After doing some reading I decided to add Kubuntu along side my original install of Ubuntu. When I first logged into Kubuntu there were 11 updates to install. When I tried to install them I was prompted "Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/pool". I insert the cd I made to install Ubuntu called "Ubuntu 8.04.1 i386"and the prompt just keeps coming up. Is this simply because the name is slightly different or is it because I have 8.04.1? Everything else seems to be working fine, but I would like to be able to update as needed. I did a bunch of updates when I was first using Ubuntu/Genome and I did not have this problem. The same problem happens in both Adept Updater and Synaptic.

This is the failure line I get after I give up and cancel:

Please help.

Re: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/pool

It's checking your repositories You have the CD listed as a repository - and it can't access that.

Use this command in a Terminal:
    sudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
    That will open your sources list in kate (text editor). Put a # sign in front of the two lines that start:
    deb cd
    That will stop the CD being listed as a repository. Save, and close kate.

Run the commands
    sudo apt-get update
    and
    sudo aptget upgrade
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080423)]/pool

Thanks for the help. The problem seems to have been resolved. However, if anyone has the time to explain what I just did I'd like to read it. What is a repository. What did I change in Kate? Is that the like the meta data in Windows? The second two commands I did in terminal were the equivalent of running the upgrade program in the desktop environment? I'm trying to learn as I go, so any information would be helpful.

Thanks again.

Comment

a repository is a pool of software maintained by somebody, in this case the ubuntu developers which is available to all and sundry

the file /etc/apt/sources.list is the file in which you specify all the different repos your system has access to

every time you make a change to that file, you have to tell the system to read in the new list of available software - sudo apt-get update
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

What you did was that you rem(ed) out the instruction to look for the CD as a repository. You made the instruction a rem(inder).

Repositories are very important indeed! A repository holds thousands and thousands of free programs for you to download and install automatically. This beats "compiling" a program. Do you have Synaptic Package Manager? Connect to the internet and enter the command:
          sudo apt-get install synaptic
          This is an instruction to download Synaptic from a repository and install it on your computer.

In Kate you changed your sources list - the list of repositories. It can be changed from different places.

I'm not sure if it is like meta data in Windows. The purpose of the two commands was to update your sources - without the CD as a source
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
          X