This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop Effects

I just installed Kubuntu onto a 15GB partition on my PC. I run Vista as the default OS, but at the boot screen I just choos Kubuntu.

Anyway. I go into Kubuntu, everything works fine. But then I activate all desktop effects and I just get a black screen. All I can see is the mouse pointer! I tried everything, I doesn't work.

I went into Hardware configuration to see if my nVidia driver was disabled, but it wasn't. It's enabled, but next to it, it shows a big red dot and says "Not in use".

Do I need to download and install additional nVidia drivers just for Kubuntu? If so, could you please tell me exactly which ones I have to download.

I'm running an Intel X86 system.
    Any help would be great, thanks.

Re: Desktop Effects

With the default repositories enabled, the quickest method that I find reliable is to Ctrl-Alt-F1 out of X, log in at the CLI prompt, and do the following:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-core
    {let it install}

Code:
    sudo envyng -t
    choose #1 "Install Nvidia Driver" and then when it is done, choose #5 "Restart X Server".

This will install the Nvidia driver. Then you have to enable the Desktop Effects.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      With the default repositories enabled, the quickest method that I find reliable is to Ctrl-Alt-F1 out of X, log in at the CLI prompt, and do the following:

Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install envyng-core
      {let it install}

Code:
      sudo envyng -t
      choose #1 "Install Nvidia Driver" and then when it is done, choose #5 "Restart X Server".

This will install the Nvidia driver. Then you have to enable the Desktop Effects.

Uhh, I'm sorry but I didn't get any of that! I'm a complete n00b to this. What are "repositories", what do you mean by "CTRL-ALT-F1 out of X", what is the CLI prompt, and where exactly do I type everything you gave me?

Also, the nVidia drivers that you mentioned. Do I first have to download them?

Thanks,
      And sorry for being such a noob.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I'm not prepared to provide a course in "Linux 101". A really good book that I found helpful to getting started is Beginning Ubuntu Linux by Keir Thomas -- I can recommend that one.

Alternatively, Mr. Google is able to provide answers to all kinds of subjects, including Linux commands and packages. For example, search on "linux cli commands" and you find information such as:

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/cli.html

http://www.howtoforge.com/useful_linux_commands and

http://www.ss64.com/bash/

The Command Line Interface (CLI) is the command interpreter than runs "under" or "behind" the KDE desktop Graphical User Interface (GUI). You "escape" from the GUI, to the CLI, using the key combination Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or Ctrl-Alt-F2-F6). You go back to the GUI by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7.

Comment

Basically the repositories are libraries of software packages (some of them very famous ones) that have been packaged in such a way as the system with one command can download and install them. No hunting round the internet, downloading, unzipping, double clicking.

Very brief explanation :

CLI - Command Line. That's what you have to use when running in text mode. It's optional when running from within the GUI in which case you use a terminal - the kubuntu default is called konsole.

It's extremely powerful. Dibls suggestion is the correct one - if you are messing about with your graphics card it is wise to stop x (the graphics system) running first.

1. Ctrl-Alt-F1 - will take you out of the GUI and give you a black screen with a login point
          2. login with your user name and password
          3. sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop - sudo is kubuntus signal that you want to be administrator. You want to stop the kde graphics manager (called KDM). You will be asked for your password again, this time to become administrator.
          4. sudo apt-get update - synchronises your list of available packages with those of the master libraries (repositories) so that you get the latest version
          5. sudo apt-get install envyng-core - this installs the master package you need to configure your graphics card.
          6. sudo envyng -t runs the package to enable installation of the specific drivers. Follow the instructions as given.

Note that if you want to install most things, or configure anything at system level you need to be administrator or root user. To an XP Home user, this will be an alien concept, although an owner of a properly-configured XP Pro system ought to be familiar with it. Never fear though, virtually anything else can be installed via a package manager with a user-friendly GUI (although you'll still need your password!)

Comment

I have been trying the above code but get an error.

Kubuntu 8.10 final

Everything goes fine up till where the driver is installed.

it gives an option of 4 drivers to select from, i type the number in and the same result comes back for them all

Code:
            Result could not be parsed error in function pulse

TypeError: an integer is required

/use/bin/envyng line 4 8208 segmentation fault

Unlike the original poster i do not have vista, kubuntu is all i have/want and would really like to solve this one as the last 8.04 seemed to work, i tried manually installing the nvidia legacy drivers for my gforce 4 MX drive with no result

i will try anything
            please help

Comment

Working...
            X