This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nice PIM

I've been using kontact for ages but am not too impressed by the latest KDE4 version. While I like kmail, kaddressbook and what-have-you it is a pain to link each data set to its corresponding application if, like me, you keep all your personal stuff (which I basically wouldn't survive losing) in a separate partition.

So I am on the lookout for some PIM which does not dump all its info somewhere in ~/.kde (and let's face it, it is all over the place) so that I can just link a subfolder to ~ and that is that.

I particularly need mail, addresses and a calender together. An RSS reader would be a plus but I reckon I can handle having a separate app for that...

Hope I made myself clear and am looking forward to top tips
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: A nice PIM

As much as I like kontact, I have to agree.
    I use TB with the contact sidebar and lightning calander.

I have all my contacts, mails and calender stuff on a separate partition and can easily set up TB to use those files on all my linuxes.

Spicebird is really nice as well, in fact I use it most of the time, and it is coming along nicely:
    http://www.spicebird.com/node/5

The only problem I have with version 0.4 is syncing contacts and the calander but that should be fixed with ver. 0.7 due out shortly. Give it a spin.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

So you need an outlookalike?

You could give Thunderbird with the lightning extension a try, as suggested by Fintan, although last time I tried it the import function was broken. Maybe it's fixed now.

Also evolution as a possibility??

Comment

A nice RSS reader is Brief. A Firefox addon.

Comment

If I remember correctly evolution has the same problem with setting it up so the mail, contact, calender files are in a certain partition or "place" other than /home.
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Good idea to put the RSS into firefox - thanks for that, aged hippy.

Yeah, Fintan - it really is a shame that kontact files are all over the place. If I had at least worked out all of them, but experience tells me that I've only scratched the surface

Below a list, feel free to add (all keeping in mind the possibility of getting a complete list and writing a nice script to do the tinkering):

*.ldif - ~.kde/share/apps/kaddressbook/
            the entire kmail folder
            std.ics - ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer
            And that is it. Even though I link the entire kmail folder over I have to set up my accounts manually for each OS

I will try Thunderbird (used it's predecessor yonks ago) with the add-ons and download spicebird - thanks for all the info!
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

This list

http://www.linux.com/whatislinux/125131

Would suggest that the options already mentioned would seem to be your only realistic options.

Ian

Comment

I have been trying Zimbra Desktop. It creates a folder in home called Zimbra.

It was available in KDE3 and disappeared, but is now available in KDE4. It downloads and keeps Yahoo files which are otherwise only available by subscribing to Mail Plus.

Start here: https://launchpad.net/~zimbra-isv/+archive
                Then do a search for zdesktop

It can be a bit resource hungry.
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Zimbra desktop.
                  I tried that as well, have you been able to set up a pop account?

And yes it is resource hungry.
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Zimbra's still available via Adept in Hardy 3.5.10, but i think i'll stay with Thunderbird.

Comment

Hm, I've just been trying all afternoon to get Thunderbird to play along with my pop3 and imap accounts and I'm damned if I can convince it to do as instructed. Even if I did, I do not seem to be capable of persuading to import my kmail emails

So I've found this new KDE forum which is truly from KDE - http://forum.kde.org/index.php - and asked about kontact files. There is a bunch of stuff in ~/.kde/share/config as well, so I'm slowly piecing together my kontact again

Also tried a few RSS readers in Firefox - boy, there is a bunch of them! Since my Firefox is not behaving properly either (does not display any but the standard icons) I am also limited on that front.

Seems I have to get my house in order here first :P

Comment

I never seem to have any trouble configuring Tbird, and i like the ability to create a Gmail account without any faffing about with pop.

Blind antelope with the kmail, i've never used it.

What i like with Brief is that it will open the link you click on in another tab.

Comment

As I need to run Windows from time to time Thunderbird is great for my mail. I have a Fat 32 partition where I have the Windows My docs folder and my mail folder is in there so it's seemless. However I haven't sussed out a way of getting both versions to access the same address book - still not a real problem as I use MS less and less nowadays.

I suspect the inability to import your Kmail data simply reflects the fact that Kmail probably does not feature highly on the list of competitors from which Moz want to grab market share. Mind you I can't think of any other mailer that will import kmail either.

I use Kontact simply for addresses and calendar - it would make sense to link these to mail (I have a few sent kmails simply because I could never get kde 3.5 to recognise T'Bird as the default mailer). My problem is I can't get the lightning extension to work at all now due to profile problems! The joys of free software

Comment

[rant]
                            I didn't hear that last comment... I remember the days when I was locked in on proprietary software. If it didn't work there might be a program somewhere out there - but doing anything yourself? Forget it! My favourite was a certain DTP tool (the market leader) which insisted on either crashing or totally ignoring what you did (and it wasn't cheap either). The same has to be said for MS Word.
                            [/rant]

I did manage to import my kontact address book to Thunderbird no problems. What profile problems are you experiencing? Back in the days of dual booting linux and win98 I had my mozilla suite so set up and do not remember any pain

Comment

@liquidator: syncing Contacts with TB:
                              - Make a folder on your fat32 partition Call it addresses or what ever and another one within called Synchronized or whatever.
                              - install the address book synchronizer extension on all of your TB and configure them to point to the /fat32/address/synchronized folder.
                              sync the most up to date contacts list last as this will overwrite the less up to date.

What is your problem with the profiles?
                              I have lighting installed and it works great.
                              I have my linux TB profile in /home/username and the win TB profile in windows. I just point my mails to a fat32 /mail folder and synch my contacts and calendars.

@toad: I have never had a problem with the pop set up. Just remember to give your mail account a name and deactivate the the global folder option when setting up your pop account.

Importing kmail mails is another topic I have never tried it but this my be of use:
                              http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/importing-mail-from-kmail-to-thunderbird-or-mozilla-mail-190329/

4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X