X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange

Strange thing has happened

I have 3 harddisks , one 8.04 on wich i boot, and older disk with 7.04 and one hdd with winxp

I was able to view/mount all of them

Now i only see my hdd where 8.04 is installed on..

Wat happened, wich file can i adjust and to wat?

(offcourse all disks work fine)

Re: Strange

Maybe

K > System Settings > Advanced > Disk & Filesystems,
    Administrator Mode
    Right-click on the partition you see that needs fixing
    Edit
    and go from there;

even at that, you might still have to do:
    Konqueror, Storage Media, Right-click, Mount
    now and then ...
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

No the 2 other disks are not seen there

Comment

What does your fstab file show? Does it (still) have the entries for the other drive/partitions?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

it does not, not sure how or wat i can put in there?

Comment

The /etc/fstab file is a relatively simple text file that is read by the system to mount (place into the file system) the various disks and disk partitions.
            This is what mine looks like:
            Code:
            # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
            #
            # -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config -- 
            #
            # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
            # Entry for /dev/sda7 :
            UUID=251dc14a-9bea-4eb3-b6d9-e71e93202053 / ext3 nouser,relatime,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
            # Entry for /dev/sda5 :
            UUID=7f2dbedd-7926-4126-887a-59884bd9a9df /boot ext3 nouser,relatime,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
            # Entry for /dev/sda6 :
            UUID=d7b87c59-59c5-4764-9354-93ed271db9e2 none swap sw 0 0
            /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
            /dev/sda2 /media/Vista ntfs-3g defaults,locale=nl_NL.UTF-8 0 0
            /dev/sda4 /media/XP ntfs-3g defaults,locale=nl_NL.UTF-8 0 0
            The first interesting remark in it is that it's automatically generated by an application called ntfs-config, this probably means you want to be careful with what you change.
            I purposely installed this application (using Adept) and used it to get the Vista and XP partitions recognised, this might be a good starting point for you.

The next line tells you in what order the data is stored on a line.
            Any line starting with the hash (#) is acomment for humans to read and ignored by your system.

/dev/sda7 means (roughly) device sda no. 7
            sda7 is the 7th. partition on the first Sata disk, a second disk one would be sdb.
            Please note this sda could just as well be a IDE disk (hda), it's a scsii or sata interface that Ubuntu typically uses and that the s stands for. Sometimes this notation is replaced by the UUID sytem.

UUID is a newer standard system for giving disks/partitions a Unique Identifier, according to the standard these numbers should be truely unique but practically you might end up with two identical ID's on different disks depending on the method of formatting, so in case of problems just double check!

Next is the mount point, the place the partition has in the file hierarchy, in this case its the / (root = highest point)

ext3 tells us what file type is on sda7, ext3 is a newer form of ext2, the most common Linux file type.

Next are a bunch of (mount) options, when you are interested there is a lot of help on the net.

One of the first things you need to do is find out what the device names of your 'missing' disks are.
            Have a look around in /dev, this will give you clues to what is recognised by the system.

You say you have 3 disks, unless they have na UUID they'll most likely be called sda, sdb and sdc.
            (Remember disks CAN have identical UUID's, you'll have to change them to enable mounting more than one!)
            The files in /dev are like place holders for devices that could potentially be mounted.
            The usual place to mount hd's in a Ubuntu system is /media/devicename

Once you know the name of your device and the file type (like /dev/sdb1, ntfs, your XP partition) you could try to mount it manually with the command:
            Code:
            sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/XP/ -t ntfs-3g -o iocharset=utf8,umask=000
            Some remarks, for this to work you'll first have to make a directory called XP in /media.
            ntfs-3g needs to be installed to use this file type, check via adept.

This is a short and not necessarily complete set of instructions, please use google to get more information about separate issues and how to include these devices into fstab so they are mounted during boot.

Comment

Linux gets its clues about hard drives from the BIOS of your system. Some combinations require that you change the "mode" on the SATA and/or IDE bus, in order for a drive to be seen by Linux.

In the CLI, you can issue
              Code:
              fdisk -lu
              and
              Code:
              blkid
              and see the drives and their partitions, if they are in fact picked up by the OS. You can also install the
              Code:
              lshw
              package and then run that as a command to see more details about the make and model of them.

If they truly aren't seen by the Linux OS, then you'll have to go into BIOS, and change the "mode" on the applicable bus. On my SATA bus, I have to set it to AHCI mode, for example, for those drives to be seen. There are also modes such as "legacy PATA" available.

Hope this helps ...

Comment

Working...
              X