X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no "graphics"!!!

Hi,

someone else installed kubuntu here and it was working normally until yesterday.It suddenly started a section with 640x480(I don´t know if its the value, but it was the least when I had options) intstead of 1280x1024(or some other value, what I know is that it was the largest), and on that part of video configurations, the other options had simply dissapeared, only 640x480 existed.
    Then I google d the problem and found this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ce/+bug/201382
    As it was similar, I´ve tried to follow this part:

"Thank you for filing this bug, it's a bug in the displayconfig module. One way to work around it is to run `sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg` and answer the questions (mostly default, might want to set the resolution). You don't need to reboot the system, but you will need to log out and hit ctrl+alt+backspace to restart X."

but now kde doesn´t start anymore! and after appearing that bar (kind of "buffering kubuntu") some things are written(I didn´t use to happen before).then ends like

Starting up....
    Loading please wait...
    kinit:name_to_dev_+(/dev/disk/by_uuid/2606a0b6-7b42-4dc9-955d-1a994b06f736)=5da6(8,6)
    kinit:trying to resume from dev/disk/by_uuid/2606a0b6-7b42-4dc9-955d-1a994b06f736
    kinit:no resume image, doing normal boot
    ubuntu 8.04.1 control tty1
    Control login:

then I log

I´ve tried startx, and xinit->startkde but I´ve received error messages.like

unable to connect to x server
    xinit:connetcion reset by peer(errno 104)
    no such proccess(errno 3) server error

and things like that..

how can I fix this? is there any hope? If you want me to do some things and write here what was written on the screen ok.

please help! I need it working this weekend.

Re: no "graphics"!!!

(It's becoming more difficult to give advice at the moment because there are so many variables.)

1) Which issue of Kubuntu are you using? The bug report is 7.10. 7.10? 8.04? 8.10?
    2) Which version of KDE are you using? KDE3? KDE4?

Pre 8.04 the answer was to get a text login and as the bug report says input:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    This will start a text based wizard.

From 8.04 the answer might be to log into Recovery mode and use the option: Try to revover Xserver
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

hi arochester, thanks for the reply.

the kubuntu issue is 8.04.

the kde version I don´t know how to see that from "outside".

Comment

So try the suggestion above. Don't boot into your normal kernel. Boot into recovery mode. Use the option to Try to revover x-server. See if that works.
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

It worked! Thank you very much arochester!

it not only started normaly but solved the resolution problem too.

Do you know why this bug happens?

Comment

Working...
          X