This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rename user....HOW....SOLVED..!!

Hi......Does anybody know how can i rename my user from recovery mode? I need to either re-name or delete the .kde directory so it will be re-generated as default.

Re: Rename user....HOW

What kind of problem have you encountered?

You can delete the .kde directory in your /home/user directory. And if you need to correct some error that is occurring when you start up KDE, that is a known solution. But maybe we need to talk first.?.?.?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

If you are sure what you are doing and why you are doing it then I'd suggest you move your files first before deleting them entirely. To do so go to the command line and type:

Code:
      mkdir .kde.bak
      mv .kde .kde.bak
      If you have an 8.04 install with kde4 then you need to change all references from kde to kde4

HTH
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Never mind, I just saw your other post. Yes you do need to remove your .kde folder.

Do this at the command line prompt once you are in recovery mode.
        Code:
        cd /home/<your user name>

ls -al .kde

rm -r .kde

ls -al .kde
        The ls -al just lists the directory name. Just a good idea to do that before trying to delete; and after make sure it is gone. The rm -r will recursively delete whatever is in the .kde directory including any sub-directories and files. If it complains, come back to us. There is a way to force it, but we may need to discuss whatever it is complaining about first. When the rm command is finished, .kde should be gone.

Then just shutdown and restart. You should have a nice fresh KDE GUI.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Thanks for your help jglen490: I did as you said. Apparently it worked... but after restart the problem its still there. I can't log-in. The screen keeps turning black and coming back to the log-in window. Any ideas? Maybe in the installation process. What could i messed up? I remembered that i couldn't "create" another primary partition, the manual partition administration was a nightmare and i finnaly surrendered and select the "automatic" option and i think that maybe Kubuntu is installed in logic partitions. Is that a problem?

Comment

I've read in another post that maybe if my /home or / partition is full up that causes problems like mine, an "deadly embrace to the log-in screen. Is that true? What should i do...? Ideas? Anyone...??

Comment

To check your space situation do a
              Code:
              df -h
              dh = diskfree and the h flag stands for human readable. What is the output?
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I had to fixed my disc partitions and re-size 'em. KDE 4 is now running smoothly...! Well...Now i guess that i have to keep in touch and also keep learning...Thanks....

Comment

Working...
                X