This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything seems ok but...

Never did this before - I might have screwed up.
    Installed Kubuntu on another computer that I have XP installed. Drive is divided equally (2 partitions) 80GB windows, 80GB Kubuntu. Set root partition as "reisefs" 70GB and swap @ 10GB.

Upon Boot, GRUB menu shows 5 selections:
    1.Ubuntu 8.04.1 kernel 2.6.24-21 generic
    2." " " 2.6.24.21 generic recover
    3. " " " 2.6.24.19 generic
    4. " " " 2.6.24.19 generic recover
    5. Windows XP

If I select 1 and 3, I go into Kubuntu with no problems whatsoever.
    If I select 5, I go into Windows with no problems either.
    I was hoping to end up with just 2 selections..Kubuntu and Windows.

Question...why are there 2 different kernels taking me to Kubuntu ? ...where's swap partition ?

Re: Everything seems ok but...

First, the swap partition isn't something you boot into. Second, since you installed Kubuntu, you probably received updated packages, and one included a newer kernel ( -21). That's why you have two kernels to boot into.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep, Snowhog put it succinctly - everything is hunky dory!

And on the side - a 10GB swap is MASSIVE! 1GB will probably more than do (not something to worry about, just so you are aware for the next time...)
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

As a general thing can I recommend you keep 2 kernels available at all times. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that you could install or do something that messes up your most recent kernel (as happened to me recently when I messed with something I shouldn't ) and having that second kernel available enabled me to boot normally and fix it.

When you get a further new kernel (which you no doubt will at some stage) then once you are happy that the new one works normally and everything works properly you can uninstall the oldest one.

Ian

Comment

Dart, and don't forget other ways to see what's going on; e.g., your swap partition.
          At Konsole, run the command
          sudo fdisk -lu
          Your swap shows up there (labeled something like: 82 Linux swap / Solaris)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
            /dev/sda1 * 63 156296384 78148161 7 HPFS/NTFS
            /dev/sda2 156296385 173871494 8787555 5 Extended
            /dev/sda3 173871495 312576704 69352605 83 Linux
            /dev/sda5 156296448 173871494 8787523+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

the swap partiton may have ended up different than I first reported.

Comment

Swap looks like 8,998,423,552 bytes.
              = (End - Start)*512
              (End & Start are expressed in sectors, where 1 sector = 512 bytes).
              Or:
              = Blocks * 1024 bytes/block
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

....next time, I will aim for a 1 gb partition if on this machine...or twice the size of amount of ram.

Thanks for all your help

PS: interesting how i can browse easily inside the wind@ws partion and even transfer files to and from there as long as I'm in Linux - but when in wind@ws, forget it ! ...all I get is "unknown partition" in the management section. HA ! ahem...so much for windows security

Comment

Yep, although I believe there is some windows add-on whereby you can actually mount and look at (not whether you can write to) ext3 partitions. I am fairly sure, however, that Reiser is not supported.
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                  X