This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a two user system

Hi I'm running Hardy Heron & would like to know how to set it up for 2 users, myself and my daughter.
    I've created another user and password using 'user management' in the System Settings menu but there is a problem. When my daughter switches on the machine and logs into her user ID the knetwork manager asks for the administrators password (mine !) in order to wirelessly connect to the interweb. If I log in first enter the pass then log out again it seems fine but I'd like for her to able to use it in my absence. Can anyone help ?

Re: Creating a two user system

you can try writing a script to have wireless connect automatically on start up.
    here are a just a couple of threads I found on the subject that might be of some use.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=673786
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=698785
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I checked out the links & there's a script for doing it :

Code:
      #! /bin/bash
      ifconfig wlan0 down
      dhclient -r wlan0
      iwconfig wlan0 essid "myessid"
      iwpriv wlan0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
      iwpriv wlan0 set EncrypType=TKIP
      iwpriv wlan0 set WPAPSK="mypword"
      dhclient wlan0
      but my router doesn't use WPA so I can't use it really. Does anyone know what I need to replace in the above ? Also how do I execute it on startup for either account ?

Comment

I would think you just need to change the values... like if you use WEP, put that instead of the WPAPSK.
        You will have to change them to match how your router is set up.
        &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Ok I wasn't sure if it would be that simple ! Not sure about EncryType though, what is the different syntax for the different types ?

Comment

Well, is it WEP you are using? If so, iwconfig carries on being your friend instead iwpriv.

Code:
            man iwconfig
            has more info (you are especially interested in iwconfig key).

Otherwise just ask, but we need more info
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Yes it is WEP I'm using, iwconfig outputs the following :

Code:
              lo    no wireless extensions.

eth0   no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0   IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"jtnwlan"
                   Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:0F:B5:0E:77:31
                   Bit Rate=48 Mb/s  Tx-Power=27 dBm
                   Retry min limit:7  RTS thr:off  Fragment thr=2346 B
                   Link Quality=55/100 Signal level=-56 dBm Noise level=-73 dBm
                   Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
                   Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0  Missed beacon:0
              Does anyone know if this will be any easier with 8.10 as I was thinking of upgrading when the final release is available

Comment

okay, just reread your post. Per default only the first user is added to the sudo group, all others have to be added manually. That would be one way of doing it. However, I find it strange that knetworkmanager asks for the sudo password - it should ask for kwallet!

So if you assign a new password to kwallet which you then tell your daughter as well things might just work out...

HTH
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks, is it possible to set two different wallets for two different users ?

Comment

This is straight from the kwallet handbook, chapter 1:

Chapter 1. Introduction

Computer users have a very large amount of data to manage, some of which is sensitive. In particular, you will typically have many passwords to manage. Remembering them is difficult, writing them down on paper or in a text file is insecure, and using tools such at PGP is tedious and inconvenient.

KWallet saves this sensitive data for you in a strongly encrypted file, accessible by all applications, and protected with a master password that you define.
                    Tip

KWallet supports multiple wallets, so for the most secure operation, you should use one wallet for local passwords, and another for network passwords and form data. You can configure this behavior in the KWallet KDE Control Center module, however the default setting is to store everything in one wallet.

A wallet is by default closed, which means that you must supply a password to open it. Once the wallet is opened, the contents can be accessed.
                    Naturally you should read System Settings instead of KDE Control Center these days, but you'll find it under the advanced tab

Comment

Working...
                    X