Re: Sandisk Cruzer U3 4GB Memory Full

Breaking in swiftly..

Time to crawl into the pit.

Goodnight together.

... and thanks, CVPunk.

Comment

Good night Aged Hippy..and Thank you!
      'Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.'

Comment

How To Format my USB Drive...
        First make sure your USB drive is not mounted. (do not remove)

To format the device, type the following command (Open a terminal and type the command)
        Code:

$ sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1

Caution:
        Be careful while entering the device/partition name; the wrong name can wipe out your entire hard drive!!!

Now use the "e2label" command to change the filesystem label on the newly created ext3 filesystem located on device /dev/sdc1:
        Code:

$ sudo e2label /dev/sdb1 usb-pen

(Or whatever you want to name it)

You can also create an MS-DOS/Windows XP file system under Linux, enter:
        Code:

$ sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1

Now your ready to use the USB pen drive.

Good Luck.........
        &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

WOW You're amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much CVPunk!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was scarey to do..but very nice!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

Catherine
          &#39;Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.&#39;

Comment

Very Kewl!!!! 8)
            &#39;Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.&#39;

Comment

That's great. Sorry it took so long.
              You might want to add the 'delete' function to Dolphin. Open Dolphin, click on Settings >Configure Dolphin, then check the box to add the delete function. This might make it easier when you try to erase from you usb device next time.
              &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Nice one, CVPunk

I also like that Chomsky quote
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Well done, CVPunk.

Have Fun with Kubuntu, Kitkatcatekot.

Comment

Thank you again CVPunk..
                    There isn't a box in my Dolphin to click on a delete function..perhaps I need an upgrade?

No worries about the time...I was a great learning experience! I have saved the format instructions - great stuff!

Thank you Aged Hippy I am enjoying Kubuntu!

Comment

Re: Sandisk Cruzer U3 4GB Memory Full SOLVED!!

Originally posted by Kitkatcatekot
                      Hello...I am completely clueless about linux..my friend installed it and he isn't currently available to help.
                      I have a Sandisk Cruzer U3 4GB Flash drive and had previously loaded movies and deleted them with no problems.

Not sure if it was me but each time I load something then delete it it hides someplace in there and I can't access it to delete whatever is there.

It is currently showing
                      file:///media/disk
                      Device Node /dev/sdb1
                      Free: 1.1 GB
                      Total: 3.8 GB
                      Used: 2.7 GB

Medium Summary
                      Usage 69%

If someone can suggest some solutions I would appreciate it.

Thank you
                      Kate

Comment

Re: SOLVED!!! Sandisk Cruzer U3 4GB Memory Full

from doing a little reading it looks like the easiest way to delete from the USB flash is to use
                        shift+delete when deleting the files.

also, thanx for marking this as solved.

Comment

Re: SOLVED!!! Sandisk Cruzer U3 4GB Memory Full

Thanks Again CVPunk!

And your welcome..

Comment

Working...
                          X