• Time
  • Show
Clear All

low disk space

I've installed Kubuntu 8.04 lts
    dual boot with Win Xp SP2

It is working smoothly however i have 2 problems
    1)/home was 4.1 Gb during installation and /root was 5.3 Gb
    Currently its giving me an message saying low disk space. I checked the disk space usage/home is showing 99% full while root is 45% full.The strange part is I have nothing stored in home folder as yet. I had 6.06 Lts installed earlier and installed Kubuntu 8.04 from a cd. /home using up almost 3Gb - is this ok or something is wrong?

2) My second problem is every time i have to access my partition drives (c,d,e) on Windows i have to enter password. I don't know how to make them accessible by default.
    I'm a complete newbie at fixing problems as earlier version was not installed by me.

Re: low disk space

Code:
    df -hTxtmpfs
    This will report on the usage of your partitions. If your root ( / ) and/or home ( /home ) are near 100%, you will have problems - soon - and some house cleaning is in order.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i found .strigi was using 3.6 Gb on Konqueror
      .i removed it using add/remove programs and manually by searching for the file yet when i restarted i got error msg saying low disk space /home.
      My Home and /root are on / . I don't understand what else can i do.

Comment

This may be a stupid question but when you deleted the (hidden?) .strigi file did you simply move it to trash, which won't affect in any way the free space in /home? If so, emptying the trash should solve your problem.

Ian

Comment

Working...
        X