X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I install firefox?

H!

I just downloaded firefox 3 from their website. It downloaded to my home::documents folder. I went there and it shows the firefox folder, and basically, I have no clue what to do with it. I tried extracting it, didn't work (got a message that it doesn't exist...). I opened the folder, and then I just saw a bunch of other folders.

What am I supposed to do? Please help. I have no clue how to install stuff.

Thanks!

Re: How do I install firefox?

in the menu, goto system, Aptitude (install software) do a search on firefox and install from the repository. Firefox 3 is in there and then you will be upgraded when firefox upgrades automatically. Search on "restricted" and install restricted extras too, then you'll have the codecs and so on to browse properly. Just about anything you need is in the repositories.

Alternatively, search and install from the command line:

sudo apt-cache search firefox

sudo apt-get install firefox3

Comment

hmm, got this message (tried it in the command line):

E: Couldn't find package firefox3

btw, I am using Kubuntu 8.04, I don't know if that makes much of a difference in anything, but just so we know.

Comment

Also, what is a repository?

Comment

A repo is a place on the internet maintained by developers (ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu for example) who put software in their so you (and I ) can download it onto our machines.

Anyway, the package is called firefox-3.0 and a
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install firefox-3.0
          will install it from the command line. Alternatively do it via Adept.

HTH
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

When I do that, I get this message:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
            E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

What does this mean? Is this bad?

Comment

No, it isn't bad. It just tells you that some other application has put a lock file on that set of data. Have you got Adept open per chance? Or any other program which looks at your software? If so, close it and try again.

If you still get that message you need to do a
              Code:
              sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
              Now you will definitely be able to install firefox
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

thanx!

it worked!

Comment

Working...
                X