This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Crash.. HELP!

I went to upgrade my system to Hardy Heron. Since my CD drive is dead I attempted it through the update gui. Well, it crashed as the new files were installing. Now I cant boot my linux drive. What is worse, I have none of my data backed up. What can I do to retrieve my data and "finish" updating my system I have a dell laptop and I cant boot from a usb device, and as previously stated my cd rom drive doesnt work so that is unavailable to me.

Re: Install Crash.. HELP!

What exactly happens when you try to boot?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

It tries to load X several times then gets stuck on the screen that reads:

Starting up ...
      Loading, please wait ...
      Kinit: name_to_dev_t (/dev/disk/by-uuid/7aa0630a-8ab8-b332-b50cab6e1a62) = sda (8,5)
      Kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/7aa0630a-8ab8-4d6c-b332-b50cab6e1a62
      Kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot ...

Ubuntu 8.04.1 trinity tty1

trinity login: _

Comment

Soo... Do you go through the bit where you put in your username and password? If you investigate the icon on the bottom right you can possibly choose a Console Login. What happens with that?
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

HOLD THAT!!!

It says
          trinity login: _
          From that point try inputting:
          sudo dpkg --configure -a
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get install
          sudo apt-get dist-update

Comment

Excuse me for interrupting, arochester, but maybe a sudo aptitude full-upgrade would help.

From man aptitude:
            full-upgrade
            Upgrades installed packages to their most recent version, removing or installing packages as necessary. This command is less conservative than safe-upgrade and thus more likely to perform unwanted actions. However, it is capable of upgrading packages that safe-upgrade cannot upgrade.

Note This command was originally named dist-upgrade for historical reasons, and aptitude still recognizes dist-upgrade as a synonym for full-upgrade.

Comment

Working...
            X