This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Wireless Intel 4965 problem

I just bought a Compal JFT00 Laptop with Intel 4965 Wireless card. I installed Kubuntu on it, but it can't find, or somehow utilize, the wireless card. KNetworkmanager just allows me to turn wireless on or off, but it doesn't find any wireless networks, (or the wireless device in the configuration window for that matter).

After doing a whole lot of googling, (I'm a Linux noob) I tried the lshw -C Network command, and the wireless card shows up, with configuration: driver=iwl4965, latency=0, module=iwl4965, as it should be. It has, however, no logical name, as opposed to the ethernet interface. I also did the dmesg command, and one of the messages says iwl4965: Radio disabled by HW RF Kill Switch
    Following up on another advice, I did cat /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl4965/0000\:01\:00.0/rf_kill which returned the value 0.

On the computer, there is a LED button that has a Wireless/Bluetooth symbol on it. When I press it, the Bluetooth symbol shows up in the desktop tray, and another LED lights up with the Wireless/bluetooth symbol, and it's blue. I have tried all the stuff both with turning this button on and off. There is no way to turn off any Wireless Kill Switch in BIOS.

Also, on the F2 key, there is a wireless symbol (only wireless, no bluetooth), which may indicate that I could press Fn+F2 to activate the wireless. All the other Fn+something button combinations work (e.g. increasing volume, sleep mode and so on), but when I do Fn+F2, nothing happens. I have also tried all of the above things after doing this, with no change. When I did showkey, it did not register Fn at all, so I'm a bit surprised this button works at all in Linux. (But maybe I don't know what showkey really indicates)

This is all the info I have about this. What can I do? Thanks in advance.

Re: Kubuntu Wireless Intel 4965 problem

Originally posted by Manil
    KNetworkmanager just allows me to turn wireless on or off, but it doesn't find any wireless networks, (or the wireless device in the configuration window for that matter)..
    Do you mean that you have entered the info for your wifi network, and it is not showing up in a listing when you right click on the network icon?

God Bless
    Doug
    Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Comment

Re: Kubuntu Wireless Intel 4965 problem

As in the "Firmware cutter: Wireless issue" post below:

1) Which version of Kubuntu are you using?
      2) KDE3 or KDE4?
      3) Have you followed any howtos or tutorials? Which ones?

Have you looked at e.g. https://support.uakron.edu/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Setup_on_Ubuntu_8.04_(Hardy_Heron)_with_I ntel_3945/4965

There was a Hardy bug. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/179698
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
      X