This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading and installing with Adept

I've just installed Kubuntu in an old computer and starting to find my way around.
    I want to install some programmes and upgrade others. I have found the list of these but Adept won't let me do anything unless I am the administrator. I installed Synaptic via the konsole but this programme does the same. There is no button to go into administration mode and I have no idea how to login as administrator.

Can someone help?

Re: Upgrading and installing with Adept

It should ask you for your password. If it doesn't, and won't let you make any changes, press <Alt> <F2> and type into the field: kdesu adept_manager and then give it your password.

Incidentally, Welcome.... and Have Fun.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It does actually ask for a password but the programmes disappear when I type it in.

Would a fresh install of Kubuntu help? (not that I know how to do that)

Comment

I must admit, that is what i would be inclined to do. My motto is: if it takes longer than an hour to sort out - it's quicker to re-install.

As for how to do it, stuff the CD into the drive, re-boot, and when the CD has booted, select the Check disc for defects option.

If that is successful, select your locale, keyboard, etc, then the installer will spend a while looking at your discs.

When it's finished, select the Manual method, this will lead to more disc-examining, and if you don't have anything on the disc that you want to keep, delete any partitions already there, and create three partitions on it.

I am assuming that as you said "an old computer" that there is nothing on it which you want to keep.

If you create the first partition ~10Gb and tell it to format it ext3, and to mount it as / i think it will default to that. This is where the OS will live, it won't use all that, mine uses 4Gb, but 10Gb is a nice, round number.

Then create another partition of the rest of the HD minus ~1Gb, tell it to format it as ext3, and to mount it as /home.
        This is handy for re-installing, you keep all your settings this way.

The rest (1Gb) tell it to format and use as Swap, it may not be necessary, but... old habits die hard.

Press <Forward> and roll a cigarette.

Comment

Thanks Aged Hippy, that all sounds very sensible and I'll try it out tonight. Apart from the rolled cigarette......

Comment

You are Most Welcome.... i'll smoke that one for you, then.

Comment

Working...
            X