This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista to Kubuntu transition

Please tell me the proper steps to complete a nice clean install over vista.
    include steps in how to clean up the hdd and ban vista forever!

Re: Vista to Kubuntu transition

Hello roshow, and Welcome.

It would help if you told us the specs of your computer.

Comment

I'll kick off - does the live CD give you sound and internet? If so, read on...

1. download partedmagic from www.partedmagic.com, burn the iso, boot off it and wipe your disk - it has all the tools you need for partitioning, talking of which...

2. partitioning - advice will vary, but it is generally acknowledged that a 1 or 2 GB swap partition is plenty. Personally I have four 10GB partitions for different systems. If you only want Kubuntu, one of those will do. However, if you fancy looking at other systems you may just want to have a spare 10GB partition you can use as root. The rest you can use as /home. So, one swap (1 or 2 GB) at least one 10GB as / and the rest for /home. This is a basic but pretty future proof partitioning scheme. (Note that at least two / partitions enable you to run concurrent systems off the same /home - makes kind of update proof)

3. install - you've done all the hard work. Now pop in the kubuntu CD and hope for the best
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks for the reply. me and my roomate have been checking out ubuntu for some time now. I have been a longtime apple user now for about 15 years. I have always disliked windows. The reason for the transition is this. I recently changed careers. My prev job was working at a life insurance agency and I had to have windows to support there software so I had to buy this laptop just for work. now I have this laptop that I do not need windows. Ubuntu has spiked my intrest and I would like to become a part of it. I have 3 other computers as my primary. I have a wide knowledge in computing but not Ubuntu so I was to make sure everything goes clean and leave it to the experts for advice.

The CD does give sound however my wireless car does not seem to be working. *internet works with landline

Laptop specs
        Tobisha Satellite A205
        Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 @1.60GHz
        Ram 1014
        32 bit

Comment

installed and running great ... realtek RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter not working and cant find a driver ill start a new thread .. see you in the forums

Comment

Well done for taking the plunge! As for your wireless card, check this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=709802

As apple user you also may look into kooldock...
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
            X