This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Web browsing?

I am afraid I cannot help you with your latest discovery, but to check your interfaces ifconfig is perfect. It will show you the interface name (eth0 or eth1 for example) and your ip address if you have one (second line, first entry - inet addr among other stuff.

To find out whether you can communicate with your router you should try to ping it (ping 192.168.1.1). If you cannot even do that, there is some wall between you. If you can then you have a connection at least as far as the router and perhaps even check its settings. But cross either bridge when you come to it
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

One other thing though... if you have non-nvidia graphics (or maybe even if you do have nvidia) you just might want to start over with the 8.10 beta... it is fairly polished and has some improvements with the network manager... I believe it is kde4 only by default, and if you have intel ethernet beware of an issue that could harm the hardware (although i am 99.9 % sure that is fixed now)... it will be final in a couple of weeks, so might as well not start behind a version... just a thought.

Comment

I think I found out what the problem is. I was surfing another forum, and I ran across a thing about Guard Dog, specifically leftover files from installing, then uninstalling it using Adept blocking an internet connection. I installed/uninstalled it in that manner yesterday, and haven't been able to connect since. I posted on that forum that I need that info, so hopefully.... Figures that it would be something weird like that. Now if I can get that, I should be golden.

Comment

Here is a link to the other thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=945359

And here the one to the solution:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=945359

It was a firewall, guarddog, apparently not fully removed by adetpt
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Well, that did nothing... I don't get it. I've got the configurations all set, and it won't connect. Is there some way to jump-start the connection?

Comment

Network settings all appear to be configured properly, yet knetworkmanager is telling me there is no device present, even with a USB connection to my router. Do I need to do some kind of release/renew thing, and if so, how? Any other suggestions/hints would also be GREATLY appreciated. I've been messing with this all day and it's starting to mess with ME...

Comment

look at my reply #15 and report back

Comment

"destination host unreachable". I think that I may just reinstall.

Comment

Originally posted by tralfazz0
                    "destination host unreachable". I think that I may just reinstall.
                    Yep, I remember coming to that same decision after installing guarddog and having the same problem that you have. The general consensus, as far as I can determine, is that most home users of Linux who have their desktop system behind a reasonably-configured router, and don't habitually tempt fate by opening strange e-mail attachments, etc., don't need anti-virus protection. "Reasonably-configured" being the operative term -- change the factory defaults, use its privacy/password features, turn off the radio if you don't need wireless, etc. etc.

Comment

Good enough! WPA should be more than sufficient. To think, I spent twice the time tinkering instead of reinstalling...

"Ve grow so soon old, und so late schmart..."

Comment

Working...
                      X