X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help

hi guys,,,,,,,,,,
    I 'm new to kubuntu but i really want to use it as my operating system but i have some troubles
    i have a winmodem so i can't use internet to install any application and i tried to install application in .tar.bz extension but i failed very much!!!
    i have many songs on my pc but the music player refuse to play any extension mp3 wma wav cda and also it can't play my dvds and vcds
    in some times when i insert cd in my driver i got no response from the system it's look like i've never inserted any cd
    i'm using Kubuntu KDE 4 please help me
    thanks

Re: need help

Well you can start here.
    http://linmodems.org/
    You may be able to get it going, but a linux compatible modem will be better and a lot less frustrating. When you say you tried to install applications in tar.bz did you extract the file first then go into the folder and open the readme or install text. Usually there are instructions. As for audio and video you can go here.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Comment

Re: need help

ingo@dicker:~$ apt-cache search winmodem
      linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-16-386 - Non-free Linux 2.6.24 modules on 386
      linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-18-386 - Non-free Linux 2.6.24 modules on 386
      linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-386 - Non-free Linux 2.6.24 modules on 386
      I typed in the above command to check whether there is anything in the repositories relating to winmodems. You can see the output for yourself.

Now you have to ascertain which kernel you are running. To do so type
      Code:
      uname -r
      The output is most likely something like
      ingo@dicker:~$ uname -r
      2.6.24-19-generic
      But whatever it is, you need to install the restricted modules for your kernel version to get your modem running. To install (at least in my case with a 2.6.24-19 kernel) I'd have to type
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-386
      Reboot and with any luck your modem will be recognised.

Let us know how you get on.
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
      X