This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry another question

Thanks for everyones help but I finally found out what my computers CPU is so now I was wondering what type of video card can I use preferably one that is Mid to near High End video card that goes good with my "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz" and that will play the games thru Cedega with little to no problems? I was thinking of getting this card from newegg.com - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150316

So what do you guys think?

Re: sorry another question

Graphics card has nothing to do with CPU. All that matters is that your motherboard has the apropriate slot for the graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by Troberg
      Graphics card has nothing to do with CPU. All that matters is that your motherboard has the apropriate slot for the graphics card.
      thats strange, cause I was told that the cpu would have to be able to handle the video card

Comment

Nope. Just check anyplace where they sell video cards, do any of them list which CPU it's made for?

The card talks to the CPU through the slot bus (usually PCI, AGP, PCIe or PCIx), and that is a standardised interface. The CPU only needs to know how to "talk PCI" and the card only needs to know how to "talk PCI". They never "speak their native languages" directly.

Comment

The card you linked to is a PCI Express 2.0 x16 card. Make sure your motherboard supports this card. I also noted that this card requires a power supply of at least 400 watts.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
            The card you linked to is a PCI Express 2.0 x16 card. Make sure your motherboard supports this card. I also noted that this card requires a power supply of at least 400 watts.

How do I check what my motherboard is thru Kubuntu? How do I check to see what type of power supply that I have is?
            (modifying post)

I believe I found the info for my power supply

AC INPUT (50-60Hz): 100 - 127V-/6A
            200 - 240V-/3A
            DC OUTPUT: +5V---/22A +12V---/16A
            +3.3V---/18A -12V----/1A
            +5Vfp----/2A
            +5V AND +3.3V SHALL NOT EXCEED 150W
            MAX. OUTPUT POWER: 250W

I currently have a Radeon 9600 Video Card, and as far as I know Radeon 9600 and power device works just fine, also I motherboard is connected properly to the Radeon 9600 Video Card. So I should probably stay with the Radeon series? If so then I'll go with the Radeon 9800 probably Pro since its a mid level to high end card (I've had a Radeon 9800 card and it ran all of the games and some of the high end games with little to know problem)

Comment

What kind of computer do you have, and what model is it? If you can't determine what kind of motherboard you have you can google it and find the specifications, which will probably tell you.

You should be able to find out by running
              Code:
               sudo lshw
              in a terminal. The motherboard will usually be the first thing listed. You can also take the side cover off of the computer and look for the motherboard info there. It is usually printed on the board near the last PCI slot.

If you get the card in your original post, you are definitely going to need more power supply.

Comment

What kind of computer do you have, and what model is it? If you can't determine what kind of motherboard you have you can google it and find the specifications, which will probably tell you.

You should be able to find out by running
                Code:
                 [b]sudo lshw[/b]
                in a terminal. The motherboard will usually be the first thing listed. You can also take the side cover off of the computer and look for the motherboard info there. It is usually printed on the board near the last PCI slot.

If you get the card in your original post, you are definitely going to need more power supply.
                I put the code in the run command terminal and it does noting then I went and did kdesu then Ishw and pushed okay it asked for my password I gave and still nothing.

Dimension 4600 it has a built in sound card but other than that I built it myself, I can replace the power supply cause it has screws on it philips that I can take off

Comment

You have to run the command in a terminal to see the output. If you just put it in on the command line without opening a terminal you won't see the output. This is not a KDE program so running it with kdesu won't do anything. Open a terminal with Konsole, and run it as I said.

Comment

I found my mother board it is

dell rev a01

I went here after I googled it at a forum and people said that dell rev a01 was the motherboard
                    at http://www.devhardware.com/forums/mo...01t-21855.html

Comment

I went to the Dell site and looked up the specs for the Dimension 4600. You do not have a PCIe slot. Only PCI. It does have AGP. It does have only a 250 watt power supply. The card you listed in your original post won't work in this computer.

Comment

thanks you are a great help 8) what about radeon 9800 pro? why i'm asking about radeon 9800 pro is that since I have a ATI Radeon 9600 that I can also use radeon 9800 pro and can mother board and powersupply run radeon 9800 pro

Comment

I use Nvidia, and don't know much about the ATI cards. But you need a card that works with AGP 8X.

Comment

I use Nvidia, and don't know much about the ATI cards. But you need a card that works with AGP 8X.
                            Is nvidia better than radeon? and if so what nvidia video card would you suggest?

Comment

It's commonly accepted that Nvidia has better Linux support. although I've been told ATI is improving in this area. I'm not a gamer, so I won't go any further than that with a recommendation. I guess you want the biggest, baddest, card your budget and your system will support. Also consider you may need additional cooling.

Comment

Working...
                              X