This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Kubuntu 7_10 loaded and I have a few questions

Hi, I'm running Kubuntu 7_10 and I think it's great. I do have some questions:
    1. How do I get rid of this annoying screen saver?
    2. My screen resolution is maxed out at 640 x 480 I know it is capable of much more because I have used the same video card in win xp and kubuntu at higher res
    3. Is there a PnP engine? How do I manage to manually load devices drivers?
    4. I checked KInfoCenter but it is hard to determine if specific devices are installed or not how do I interpret this applet?
    5. Is there any way to minimize all windows with one command?
    6. I tried a previous version (7_04) and there was a shut down command and this version I just see a log off but no shut down it also doesn't prompt me to log in, how can I change these options?

I know these are annoying question but I am new to Kubuntu. Thanks.

Re: I have Kubuntu 7_10 loaded and I have a few questions

1. Right-click desktop>Configure desktop>Screen saver>Uncheck start automatically

2. Try this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973

3. PnP works great, I think the drivers take care of themselves but if you need to install restricted drivers go to kmenu>System>Hardware Drivers Manager.  You can install drivers that need to be installed from there.

4. I've never used KInfoCenter before.

5. Next to the Kmenu there is a Toolbar for show desktop but it doesn't really minimize just gets them out of the way.

6. Kmenu>System settings>Advanced tab>Session manager>Default shutdown option>Turn off Computer and uncheck confirm logout.

I would expect it to give you login screen.  Check Kmenu>System settings>Advanced tab>Login manager>Convience tab>Uncheck autologin if it is checked. Might want to uncheck "Offer shutdown options" too but I'm not sure.

If any tabs are grayed out you have to click the administrator mode button at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by jk4y
      5. Next to the Kmenu there is a Toolbar for show desktop but it doesn't really minimize just gets them out of the way.
      Pressing Ctrl+Alt+D will achieve the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jk4y
        1. Right-click desktop>Configure desktop>Screen saver>Uncheck start automatically

2. Try this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83973

3. PnP works great, I think the drivers take care of themselves but if you need to install restricted drivers go to kmenu>System>Hardware Drivers Manager.  You can install drivers that need to be installed from there.

4. I've never used KInfoCenter before.

6. Kmenu>System settings>Advanced tab>Session manager>Default shutdown option>Turn off Computer and uncheck confirm logout.

I would expect it to give you login screen.  Check Kmenu>System settings>Advanced tab>Login manager>Convience tab>Uncheck autologin if it is checked.  Might want to uncheck "Offer shutdown options" too but I'm not sure.

If any tabs are grayed out you have to click the administrator mode button at the bottom.

Thanks for all of the help. As far as #3. I don't see where the device is recognized by Kubuntu. It is a USB peripheral and there is no popup when I plug it in. Also, I do not see this particular menu item "kmenu>System>Hardware Drivers Manager"

As far as #2, man that is a lot of work to adjust the video card to a resolution that it should be working at already. Is there a way to see if the appropriate driver is loaded

UPDATE: That link for #2 it totally unnecessary. All you have to do is go into System Settings>Monitor & Display>Hardware [tab], then allow Kubuntu to recognize my video card as it had a generic card selected.

Comment

Working...
        X