X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard Problems

Hey guys I've got a <b>BIG</b> problem.

I'm new to using Linux. I got Kubuntu 8.04 from my networking teacher.

I installed it on my laptop and my wifi wouldn't work. I noticed I had updates to install so I installed them. Now my keyboard isn't working other then the log in screen.

What should I do?

Help in lameons terms would be helpful haha.

~~Steven J. Carney

Re: Keyboard Problems

Welcome.

First, maybe a little more info would be helpful.
    What kind of laptop are you using?
    And what keyboard configuration did you choose uppon install?
    Can you check your keyboard layout in Kmenu >System Settings?

[edit] does the keyboard work with the live cd??
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Haha I never thought of that.

Its a Gateway T-1625.

I chose the USA english configuration I think. I can't remember haha.

I also never thought to try the live cd. *POsts this and goes to test it*

[Edit] I couldn't get it to work with the CD either. Btw. Its also the virtual keyboard thats not working too. I'm not being able to type at all on Kubuntu.

Comment

does the keyboard work if you boot into BIOS? or is it not working period?
        &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

It'll work up to the point that I get to the desktop. after that its not working

Comment

Your keyboard was originally working before you ran the updates?
            Can you plug in an external keyboard and use it?
            If you can, open a Konsole and type lsmod | grep kbd
            if you don't get anything, try dmesg | grep input
            then post the results back here.

I am thinking that with the updates something might have gotten messed up with the kernel.

Comment

I was thinking about trying an external. But the virtual didn't work so I didn't.

I'll go check that out really quick.

[Update] Just as I thought the external didn't work either. Its really driving me nuts.

Comment

I've experienced that problem also a couple of times.
                Keyboard is working fine at the loginscreen. (username & password), but once logged in it's somehow stuck.

The only inputdevice that is working seemed to be the mouse (touchpad actually).

This is how I've got my distribution working again.

1) I opened up the configuration panel (systemsettings) and clicked the advanced tab.
                2) Then I clicked "session managment"
                3) At "logon" or something, I've selected "Start with new session"
                4) At "Default logoff action", I've selected "Restart computer".

Then I logged off and had to restart a couple of times.....but it worked for me.

Sorry if the translation is a bit off here, cause I'm using a Dutch version of Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.1), with KDE 3.5.X.

Once I've had a working version again of Kubuntu, I've resetted everything back to it's original configuration.
                "Start with new session" ==> "Continue previous session"
                and so on.
                Acer Aspire 5100<br />Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

Comment

Working...
                X