Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED][Kubuntu 8.04] I can't access some websites ... ipv6 problem?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED][Kubuntu 8.04] I can't access some websites ... ipv6 problem?

Hello!

At the beginning I would like to apologize for my english, I am aware it's far from perfect

Problems with Kubuntu 8.04 have started already in the installation: it was stuck at 82% ( "Connecting the mirror" if I recall correctly ). My cousin told me that Kubuntu 8.04 has some problems with configuring Internet connection so I have pulled off Internet cable and the installation continued past those 82%.

After succesfull installation I have decided to set up Internet connection. I pluged in cable and I have noticed that the Internet connection is already established. I have started Konqueror and entered Google.com. It worked. I have typed a search query and the google has shown me results. Great, Internet works. But I was wrong. Part of the Interned worked

I couldn't access many other websites like yahoo, ebay etc. Some of them worked and most of the rest didn't. How can I repair this problem? Is it a problem with ipv6?

As a beginner user of Linux I am afraid I can't fix this without proper help I would be extremely helpful for any help! Thanks in advance!

Re: [Kubuntu 8.04] I can't access some websites ... ipv6 problem?

What exactly is happening when you go to the website? Is it not loading at all or is it just a plugin problem?
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

It is not loading at all. Nothing happens until it times out ;(

Comment

are you using a router, wireless, hardwired (plugged)?
        are you able to get updates by running sudo apt-get update in Konsole?
        &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

I am using cable modem. No routers, no wireless network.

And yes, I can't get any updates by apt-get.

Comment

in Konsole try running sudo dhclient

also, which browser are you using?

Comment

I am using Konqueror becouse I couldn't download any other on browsers.

Ok, now I will restart computer and log to Kubuntu (I am on XP right now) and try this sudo dhclient.

Comment

Ok, I have done it. Those are the results:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.6
                Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
                All rights reserved.
                For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:13:d4:ca:14:ea
                Sending on LPF/eth0/00:13:d4:ca:14:ea
                Sending on Socket/fallback
                DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
                DHCPOFFER of 62.21.44.23 from 62.21.32.1
                DHCPREQUEST of 62.21.44.23 on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
                DHCPACK of 62.21.44.23 from 62.21.32.1
                bound to 62.21.44.23 -- renewal in 1387 seconds.

Comment

was this cable modem set up on a different pc prior to this one?

Comment

no

Comment

hmmm... is the device listed and enabled in Kmenu >System Settings >Network Settings?

if it is, try doing sudo ifdown eth0, then sudo ifup eth0.
                      then try to open a website.

Comment

yes, it is listed and enabled.

I will try to down and up it and let you all know if it helped

Comment

if the ifup/ifdown did not work, type in dmesg | grep dhcp | less and post back the results to see if there is an error message.

Comment

ok, I've done it. And I have some disturbing results, imho at least.

qkieu@winterfell:~$ sudo ifdown eth0
                            [sudo] password for qkieu:
                            ifdown: interface eth0 not configured

qkieu@winterfell:~$ sudo ifup eth0
                            Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.

dmesg | grep dhcp | less provides only:

(END)

It's totally strange, I have my eth0 device listed in network devices :<

Comment

So, anyone knows how to fix it?

Comment

Working...
                              X