Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed II alpha 6, and now no hardy boot option......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed II alpha 6, and now no hardy boot option......

I managed to install the II alpha at last, but now my laptop boots directly into the II menu, which gives no option of booting Hardy. I installed II on a new partition, figuring I would have dual boot options. No such luck. Did I screw up during install choosing / as mount-point? Is there a way to get my hardy back?
    The partition containing the Hardy is intact and there is no problem getting access to it.

I cannot seem to get internett access either. As far as I can tell I am not in danger of being hit by the intel-bug.

Re: Installed II alpha 6, and now no hardy boot option......

Originally posted by NexusHumanis
    I managed to install the II alpha at last, but now my laptop boots directly into the II menu, which gives no option of booting Hardy. I installed II on a new partition, figuring I would have dual boot options. No such luck. Did I screw up during install choosing / as mount-point? Is there a way to get my hardy back?
    The partition containing the Hardy is intact and there is no problem getting access to it.

I cannot seem to get internett access either. As far as I can tell I am not in danger of being hit by the intel-bug.
    You now probably have two /boot/grub/menu.lst files.

I assume what you have to do is locating the one loading your new alpha install, and then copy and paste the Hardy details from the other one.

It should look something like this:

Code:
    title		Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic
    root		(hd1,0)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic root=UUID=1c22bab9-8e1a-40b6-80f5-a38956047c85 ro quiet splash locale=nb_NO
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic
    quiet

title		Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic (recovery mode)
    root		(hd1,0)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic root=UUID=1c22bab9-8e1a-40b6-80f5-a38956047c85 ro single
    initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic
    Maybe you have the 2.6.24-19 or -20 ; no problem.
    The other thing is the line:

root (hd1,0)

Here you may have to try smething else. Grub starts with the first disk as hd0, the second hd1 etc. - and the next number is the partition on that disk.

For instance, if you have one disk, two partitions (+ swap) - you will be looking for either (hd0,0) or (hd0,1)

Comment

Re: Installed II alpha 6, and now no hardy boot option......

....I...think that worked, or something. Or, there might have been nothing wrong in the first place..(exept for my cluelessness...) I can access my Hardy-system now, anyway.
      But I still cannot seem to get a proper internet connection on my intrepid.

Comment

Working...
      X