This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've killed it! (Almost)

I've been running Gutsy for about 6 months, over the weekend I stuffed up big time! I've managed to make it extremely ill, almost terminal. Using Adept Installer I installed a firewall application (can't remember which one). Didn't know how to set it up and my access to the ADSL router stopped. I removed the firewall app but still no internet. I then uninstalled several apps that had anything to with networking, still no luck. I uninstalled a few more apps and ended up where I am now. It now boots up to a command prompt log-in. "startx" gets me to the desktop but I can't open my email (Kontact) to recover my addresses. I can see my movie and photo files, but can't access them to copy to CD etc. I have no web access from the gutsy drive so I can't reinstall anything I unistalled. I'm currently running Hardy on a seperate drive, hence my web access. Is there some way of re-installing gutsy without over writing my address books, movies, photos etc? Or can I import them into "Hardy" from a seperate "Gutsy" drive? Any and all help appreciated.

Cheers,

Mick

Re: I've killed it! (Almost)

Using Adept Installer I installed a firewall application (can't remember which one). Didn't know how to set it up and my access to the ADSL router stopped.
    Maybe this helps > Topic: firewall troubles!!!!

About IPTables > Ubuntu community - IPTables HowTo

About reset > Ubuntu forums - Reset iptables
    Q:
    Yea, I kinda messed 'em up and now my Linux box wont connect to the internet.
    A:
    iptables --flush

man iptables tells:
    -F, --flush [chain]
    Flush the selected chain (all the chains in the table if none is given). This is equivalent to deleting all the rules one by one.

Is there some way of re-installing gutsy without over writing my address books, movies, photos etc? Or can I import them into "Hardy" from a seperate "Gutsy" drive? Any and all help appreciated.
    What kind of installation do you have - do you have separate home partition ?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
      What kind of installation do you have - do you have separate home partition ?
      I's an AMD 850, 650Mb ram and 2 x 40Gb drives. One drive has Gutsy installed from CD, the other has Hardy installed from CD. I'm not sure on the partitioning, I haven't got a clue how to find out, I just did what the install discs told me.

Comment

You can save your data in Gutsy by accessing the Gutsy partition from Hardy.
        While in Hardy, try to see Gutsy by using Konqueror > Storage Devices.
        If you have problems actually accessing the Gutsy partition, get at it by using (in Hardy):
        K > System Settings > Advanced (tab at top) > Disk and Filesystems then Administrator Mode (button at bottom).

Find out where your email "profile" folder is kept. (I use Thunderbird, and it is under my /home/my_name as a hidden file: View tab > Show hidden files)). Then you can copy the entire profile folder over to Hardy, and it SHOULD include email addresses and the current contents of Inbox, Sent, etc. -- the email issue should be an easy thing to research before you start this.

EDIT:
        Looks like Kontact email works a bit different:
        http://kontact.kde.org/
        Find out where the contacts are kept -- maybe someone else here will know.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm currently running Hardy on a seperate drive, hence my web access. Is there some way of re-installing gutsy without over writing my address books, movies, photos etc?
          > Recommend Separate Home
          Having a separate partition for /home is always a good idea, since it lets you reinstall your system without losing valuable personal data...
          One drive has Gutsy installed from CD, the other has Hardy installed from CD. I'm not sure on the partitioning, I haven't got a clue how to find out, I just did what the install discs told me.
          Then you probably don't have separate home .

Or can I import them into "Hardy" from a seperate "Gutsy" drive? Any and all help appreciated.
          A way to do that: Recovering Data

Your drives (using konsole in the Hardy):
          Code:
          sudo fdisk -l
          You are here:
          Code:
          df -h
          Example, here it tells:
          Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
          /dev/sdb1 9,7G 5,9G 3,4G 64% /
          My root is in the /dev/sdb1 and my home would be in the /dev/sdb1/home/...

Making a mount point:
          Code:
          sudo mkdir /media/tmp
          Mount your other disk/partition (in this example it is sda1)
          Code:
          sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/tmp
          Now you can use your favorite file manager (Dolphin, Konqueror, Krusader...) and go to the /media/tmp/home/.... Copy your movie and photo files safe.

About partitoning and home

> FAQ: How to Partition
          > Create a separate home partition in Ubuntu
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Using adept installer I downloaded 150 something packages last night, a bit over 230Mb, about an hour of download time. When the download was finished the upgrade started, after about 5% it came up with an error about damaging installed packages and cancelled the upgrade. After turning the computer off, it now boots up to the KDE login, when I attempt to login it continually returns to the login in screen. A new Mac is looking good!

I've found this: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3097402.0

I'll have a play with it when I get home tonight.

Comment

Working...
            X