X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 quick questions about kde 4.X

Hi all.
    Since was just released the new kde4 ( kde 4.1.1 ), im thinking to give it another try ( still using 3.5).

But before to install it ( and remove it) again, i have 3 questions i hope somebody could answer:

Q1: if i install kde4 without uninstalling the old release,i will still have the menu of both releases "mixed" ? i mean: in kde menu i will see all apps duplicated, because of the "3,5" and "4.x" version.

Q2: Kde4 still have bad performances with Nvidia proprietary drivers , or this issue has been solved?

Q3: I remember there was some problem uninstalling it. It still happens or its safe uninstall kde4 in case i dont like it?

tnx in advance

Re: 3 quick questions about kde 4.X

I must admit, i prefer 3.5.10 at the moment, mainly because i don't seem to be able to change the 'flat' look of Firefox and Thunderbird. I don't seem to be able to apply another style to them.
    It is probably in there somewhere, but i just haven't found it yet....

In answer to Q1: The duplicated items are easy to remove by editing the Menu. Right-click on the Menu ->Menu Editor.

In answer to Q2: I have an ATI board, maybe someone else can help you with this.

In answer to Q3: If you don't like it, there is no need to un-install it, when you log in, the last-used desktop is always pre-selected, just enter your password, and you will go straight back to 3.5.x

Another way (which i use) is to enable auto-login on the ->System Settings -> Advanced -> Login Manager ->Convenience and enable Auto-Login preselect Previous User and Automatically log in again after X server crash.

Comment

I know i can manually edit the menu, but its still quite annoiing to edit them manually, and i realy dunno what will happens during any package "update" ( if they will put them again in).

I also know that kdm will have 2 entries: one for kde4 and another one for the old one,
      but imho if im not going to use kde4 i dont see why i should keep it (and update it at any patch).
      I like to keep my linux box clean. That why i asked if it give any trouble to uninstall.

tnx tho for feedback .

Comment

How do I determine which version of KDE is being used?

I've installed KDE 4 but nothing seems to have changed.

EDIT:
        No, on second thoughts - some things do seem to have changed but it still telling me that i'm using KDE 3.5.1.
        How do I get it to use KDE 4?

Comment

Log out - if you have set up auto-login, you need to disable it first, and then re-boot.

On the log-in selector in the bottom right-hand corner is a button which says Session Type. Click on it and select KDE 4.

Have fun.

Comment

As a p.s - rather than an edit, it will probably pay you to up-date to 3.5.9 or 3.5.10.

Comment

Thanx

Comment

Originally posted by ghillan

Q2: Kde4 still have bad performances with Nvidia proprietary drivers , or this issue has been solved?
                I've run Nvidia's beta drivers 177.76 and 177.78, on an 8800GTS and a 9600GT, and KDE 4 looks great and runs fine.

Q3: I remember there was some problem uninstalling it. It still happens or its safe uninstall kde4 in case i dont like it?
                I wouldn't install it on a production system if you don't know whether you want to keep it. There are too many common files -- you'll get a mess trying to "go back". Try it on an experimental system, so you can nuke the whole system afterwards.

BTW, KDE4 on Intrepid, with no KDE 3.5 present on the system, is much more stable and predictable than the hodge-podge of KDE 3.5 + KDE 4.x that you get on Hardy.

Comment

Working...
                X