Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can i install a downloaded tar.gz file ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how can i install a downloaded tar.gz file ?

kubuntu alpha 6 is not able to install ekiga sip phone so i have downloaded form net but could not solve how to install as it is not like windows to click downloaded file and let it to go :

help pls.

Re: how can i install a downloaded tar.gz file ?

If it's properly packaged, it will contain a README file with instructions. Right-click the file and select open with Ark. Find the README file and click on it and either extract or open it and follow the instructions.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i have checked the package but no readme. Ark just showing contents of package only. why there is no a system like .exe in windows

Comment

Originally posted by fuhayer
        why there is no a system like .exe in windows
        Because this is Linux. The hardest thing for a new user of Linux to overcome, is their experience using Windows, and so, their expectations that using Linux will be the same. Linux is not Windows.

Tell me where you downloaded the file, and I'll get it myself and see if I can help you.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

kubuntu alpha 6
          Is that Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex (alpha-6)

ekiga sip phone
          Is that:
          Package: ekiga

H.323 and SIP compatible VoIP client

H.323 and SIP compatible videoconferencing and VoIP/IP-Telephony application that allows you to make audio and video calls to remote users with H.323 hardware or software (such as Microsoft Netmeeting) as well as SIP endpoints.

It supports all modern videoconferencing features, such as registering to an LDAP directory, gatekeeper support, making multi-user conference calls using an external MCU, using modern Quicknet telephony cards, and making PC-To-Phone calls.
          If it is: What is happening if you:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install ekiga
          or
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install ekiga-gtkonly
          Any errors ?
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

yes it is 8.10 Alpha 6.
            adept gave following error message :

Commit failed.
            To continue, hit ok and we will try to recover. If you close the application now, we will not do anything and you may try to resolve the problem manually.
            (If you suspect this is a bug in Adept, please also provide the following exception description in the report).

The error was:
            APT Error. Context:
            Running dpkg,
            [ /usr/bin/dpkg, --status-fd, 3, --unpack, /var/cache/apt/archives/ekiga_2.0.12-0ubuntu5_i386.deb ],
            Sup-process returned error code 1,
            Error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/ekiga_2.0.12-0ubuntu5_i386.deb : trying to overwrite `/usr/share/dbus-1/services/net.ekiga.instance.service', which is also in package ekiga-gtkonly.

Comment

To me it seems that you have installed ekiga-gtkonly - if you press Alt+F2 and type ekiga-gtkonly - do you get "First Time Configuration Assistant" ?
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
              X