This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't figure out how to get Japanese input

I've installed Kubuntu 8.04 on my new PC and it runs fine. However, I've been looking around for the last three days on how to get Japanese input support but without any luck. There are howtos and forum posts all over the place telling me contradictory things and complicated methods that don't seem to work.

So far I have installed Japanese language support, which means I switch the Kubuntu UI from English to Japanese. That's nice if I needed it, but in fact I don't. What I need is to be able to input Japanese characters into applications with an English UI.

Now SCIM and Skim seem to be installed as a result of installing Japanese support. However, when I left-click on Skim, I get a blank menu with just a row of dashes. I really want Anthy Japanese input.

Can anyone help? Please!!!! Kubuntu is not viable for me if I can't get this to work.

Re: I can't figure out how to get Japanese input

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=812552

(...I am a bit more careful these days. Trying to help a guy to get cyrillic russian on his computer I changed mine to cyrillic... Thank goodness for icons...)
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
      I've done the first part about installing Japanese. Some of it I had already done before. I still haven't done the second part about installing better fonts.

Anyway, I have had mixed success. Now, Japanese input works on Konqueror and nothing else.

However, if I go and change my system language to Japanese, then I can input Japanese on other apps except Firefox. Interestingly, only Firefox menus change to Japanese. Other apps still keep their English menus.

I could possibly live without Japanese text on Firefox if I could enter Japanese in a text editor and copy it. Painful but workable. However, I strongly prefer English menus on Firefox.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty miserable about this.

Comment

Firefox

Edit>Preferences>Content>Languages> Choose>Select Language to add

Japanese Text Editor

Mi http://www.mimikaki.net/en/

"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Unfortunately that doesn't make any difference.

Not only that, when Skim is going, Firefox won't even start. I have to stop Skim to start up Firefox.
          I also tried downloading kasumi but that hasn't changed the dictionary SCIM is using. Do I have to do something to activate it?

This is the last straw for me. I'm about to give up on Kubuntu.

Comment

I think that you have to type kasumi in the Run Command

Comment

Working...
            X