X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huawei E160g mobile broadband modem

Help help ,

Hi All,

Since one month I'm using Kubuntu 8.04.01 HOORAY!! It works great and made my ancient presario run better than a lot of "Modern" PC laptops on Vista an XP when I compared mine with friends' computers.

Due to my work I'm always on the move and I thought mobile broadband is the solution. So I get myself a dongle from 3 mobile and after I informed they said just plug it in and it should work. I did as I was instructed but nothing happened. the light goes on on the modem but the laptop does not recognize the device.

Can anyone give me simple or step by step advice how to enable the modem on my laptop my knowledge of Linux and Kubuntu is very little but it finally made ma a happy computer user.

Thank you all very much,

regards,

Martijn 8)
    Finally free from windows Hooray<br /><br />Martijn

Re: Huawei E160g mobile broadband modem

Unfortunately, USB wifi dongles are not the best supported hardware for Linux. :-X

Maybe this will give you some ideas to pursue:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084226.0

Comment

Third hit on google searching "Huawei E160g linux"

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1046813.html

namopereht

Comment

Does ubuntu work on Kubuntu cos one is GNome and the other KDE

Thanks,

Martijn

Finally free from windows Hooray<br /><br />Martijn

Comment

I don't know about the particular dongle you are using, but this may provide a little backround.

http://pdavila.homelinux.org:8080/blog/

David

Comment

Originally posted by fukkaduk
            Does ubuntu work on Kubuntu cos one is GNome and the other KDE
            Underneath, Kubuntu is the same as Ubuntu - the only difference is in the default settings and installed applications (most notably, of course, KDE instead of Gnome!) - so any instructions for Ubuntu can be applied to Kubuntu too. (You'll probably want to replace any "gedit" with "kwrite", "gksudo" with "kdesu", and so on to replace references to Gnome apps with the equivalent KDE ones.)

(@dibl: we're talking USB cellular modems, not wifi - they're shockingly well supported, but not with Ubuntu's current NetworkManager. KPPP works well! )

Comment

I only heard this kind of modem here in this discussion.,Can you add more about this modem for me.,? Thanks..,

Comment

Working...
              X