This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

konqeror: tab won't close, app crashes

I've installed kubuntu 8.04 and am trying to find out how everything works. I'm a linux absolute beginner.

1. Browsing with konqueror (3.5.9) if I have a single tab open I can't close it. The x on the tab doesn't work and the close-tab option in the drop-down menu is greyed out. Multiple tabs can be successively closed, except the last one standing. Is this normal, and is there a way to change it?

2. This is my second attempt to post this message. during the first one, while trying to preview the message, konqueror crashed. Is THIS normal?

Re: konqeror: tab won't close, app crashes

Is it just me? What is the use of Konqueror with no tabs open?

Is this normal...?
    It is normal.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Depends whether I want to leave konqueror running without my last (first) browser page "up." Could be my banking details or whatever. I suppose there are other ways to hide it, but just closing the tab would be the most convenient. It's what I'm accustomed to. All the other browsers I've used are quite happy to stay open with no page displayed. Don't know what reason there would be for greying out this option in konqueror.

When previewing this post, the preview screen only stays up for a few seconds then reverts to the compose window. I think last time when I then clicked preview for a second look is when konqueror crashed.

Anybody got info about this - how to keep the preview open, and whether the crash behaviour has been observed.

Comment

Sorry, I missed the "Quote option in my last reply.

Oops, now the preview button doesn't seem to be working at all

Comment

All the other browsers I've used are quite happy to stay open with no page displayed
          Why not install Firefox? Or have a look at "List of web browsers for Unix/Linux" on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...for_Unix/Linux .
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
            All the other browsers I've used are quite happy to stay open with no page displayed
            Why not install Firefox? Or have a look at "List of web browsers for Unix/Linux" on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...for_Unix/Linux .
            Of course I can do that. Guess I was hoping kub. would suit me - or be easily configured to do so - right out of the box. Here I am barely started and getting advice to load alternative chunks of software. Just like with ...dows

How can I get the konq file manager window to default to a detailed list instead of those silly folder icons? It looks as though I'd have to load a file management profile every time I run it?

Comment

Working...
            X