This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4 Remix install does not recognise partitions

I am an absolute newbie to Linux but did quite some reading and browsing. Decided to install Hardy KDE4 remix in dualboot with Vista. Bought Acronis to repartition and have now three partitions reserved for Kubuntu, boot, swap and home (and a ntfs shared partition and the Vista boot, C.

But in the install menu either guided or manual only shows /dev/sda, no partitions. When I go into the live cd and go to dolphin it sees all my partitions. Anyone any suggestions?

If the install menu is a dead end what could work:
    - use the alternate CD?
    - download the KDE3 version?
    - install Kubuntu 7?
    - go into liveCD and install manually through the terminal (no idea how but always willing to learn)?
    - install Ubuntu and switch later to KDE?

I'd really like to stick with Kubuntu but I guess I underestimated the newbie experience.... (but get a lot of energy seeing all you guys helping each other)

Thanks!

Re: Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4 Remix install does not recognise partitions

Welcome.
    Bought Acronis to repartition
    Could have used GParted for that and saved the money.

Anyways, on to your request. I think I will direct you to this tutorial.
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=197.0

It is very informative for dual booting Kubuntu with Windows.
    If this does not help you then come back and we can try something else.

Good luck.

&quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Thanks CVPunk

I did see the tutorial but disregarded it as it was from 2005, so not 8.04. I had a closer look and saw that these screens are exactly what I would have liked to see but in 8.04 I still only see /dev/sda and I do not think I just should repartition (and lose all my data).

Perhaps I should delete the partitions I made and let the installer create partitions in the free space. But looking at the screens I get I am not so sure it will leave my existing partitions in place ("use entire disk", "create new partition table", etc.).

In general a lot I see in these forums is outdated as far as Hardy is concerned (understandable). That is also why I did not want to use GParted cause I read some negative comments but these were probably older versions.

What next?

Comment

ok, so that tutorial didn't help then?
        When I created my dual boot, both of my OS's were loaded from scratch, but I just had the installer create my linux partition for me. (created a small 20gig partition when I installed WinXP and installed Linux on the other 100gigs)

maybe this tutorial might be of better help. it is a more basic step by step walk through with screen shots and everything. (It was done with Feisty, but should still apply)
        http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_..._ubuntu_feisty

[edit] it is also a very good idea to create a back up of whatever you do not want lost when setting up a dual boot system. So, anything you have on your Windoze partition that you are worried about losing, make a back up first.
        &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

What type of partitions did you make with Acronis? Sounds like they are extended partitions. Not Logical or Primary. Which could be why you are not seeing them.

Comment

Ok, CV Punk, I'll have a look at that, thanks.

Mak213: thanks for your reaction. I have 5 partitions in total ,3 primary among which the Linux system, ext3. The swap partition was created as linux swap and the shared data as ntfs, logical I assume but could be extended as well.

Comment

Try GParted. My next guess would be that Acronis only created these partitions within Windows and only Windows will be able to recognize them. They are software based partitions. Not actual partiitons. If that is the case could be a issue.

This doesnt happen often but i have seen it happen before.

Comment

Using the Live CD, Dolphin recognised the partitions, by its label name. Doesn't that mean that the installer also should recognise them? Anyway, I will download GParted as well and post my experience here (might take a few days).

Comment

My vote goes with the guys recommending GParted Live CD.
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by henseler
                    Using the Live CD, Dolphin recognised the partitions, by its label name. Doesn't that mean that the installer also should recognise them? Anyway, I will download GParted as well and post my experience here (might take a few days).
                    Not necessarily. That is because the Kubuntu LiveCD can moutn NTFS drives. Which means that if they are jsut extended drives created withint the Windows drive and not actual Partitions the LiveCD wouldnt pick up on it. GParted will.

Comment

Working...
                    X