X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't run a shell script!

Hi there,

I'm trying to install adobe flash player for firefox on my 8.04 based kubuntu machine. This is what my konsole looks like when I make an attempt at running the script:

andrew@soyo:~$ cd Desktop
    andrew@soyo:~/Desktop$ cd flash
    andrew@soyo:~/Desktop/flash$ flashplayer-installer
    bash: flashplayer-installer: command not found
    andrew@soyo:~/Desktop/flash$

I'm having this same command not found problem with other shell scripts i've tried to run. Help me out guys! Thanks

Re: Can't run a shell script!

Sorry, forgot to include that adding ./ to flashplayer-installer gives me permission denied like this:

andrew@soyo:~/Desktop/flash$ ./flashplayer-installer
    bash: ./flashplayer-installer: Permission denied
    andrew@soyo:~/Desktop/flash$

Comment

try installing the package flashpugin-nonfree. This package will download and install the flash player for you.

but to get scripts to run, you need to set them as executable (right-click the file, and use properties) or
      Code:
      chmod +x <scriptname>

Comment

Hey claydoh

Thanks for the solution! That fixed the problem I was having. Does the linux system not consider any script executable until a user changes it's permissions? Just trying to understand that mechanism. Thanks again,

Aea

Comment

well I think it needs to be set executable, but I also think you might be able to run a script like this
          Code:
          /bin/bash foo.sh
          But that only works for bash scripts, so if you don't know what type of script it is it is probably easier to set it executable.

Comment

Working...
          X