X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant display monitor in this mode

Hi ,
    I just managed to install Kubuntu after many trials (partitioning issue with installer) now fixed in beta2 6.06.
    I Have a dell 2005fpw (1680*1050)
    Initially, I had the display using only half my monitor. I tried to fix it in the display panel.
    Ended up with "cant display monitor in this mode" when I relog in.

I searched this list and found tips on using some coommands

so I typed ctrl+alt+F1...
    then sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

I got into the options (by the way what has setting monitor display have to do with mouse and keyboard settings) had to choose monitor, mouse keyboard.. chose nv
    I chose 1680*1050, but it didnt work.
    Tried again with 1280*1024 , no love.

This is my first dance with linux, ie this time I intend to actually try to use it. But its currently a bit hard.
    Can someone help me out, what am I doing wrong.
    I saw someone else ask about dell 2005fpw, but there was no response.
    I am using a geforce 5200

dont even know enough to know if I have given enough info.
    THanks in advance.
    Myx

Re: cant display monitor in this mode

A Google search turned up this page with these specifications:
    Resolution

Horizontal scan range 30 kHz to 83 kHz (automatic)
    Vertical scan range 56 Hz to 75 Hz, exception 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz only

Optimal preset resolution

Analog : 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz(VESA CVT Mode)
    Digital : 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz(VESA CVT-R Mode)
    Highest preset resolution

Analog : 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz(VESA CVT Mode)
    Digital : 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz(VESA CVT-R Mode)

Dell guarantees image size and centering for all preset modes listed in the following table.
    I'm not sure what that whole deal is with the exception, but try this:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup
    kdesu kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Then, look for the monitor section. If there are already lines for HorizSync and VertRefresh, adjust them. Otherwise, add these two lines:
    Code:
    HorizSync 30-83
    VertRefresh 56-75
    Save and press Control-Alt-Backspace

If that doesn't work, try changing the VertRefresh from 56-75 to 60-60
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Aysiu has provided you with the information you need to get your display squared away, so I thought I'd answer your BTW. The xserver is the part of the operating system that receives information from the mouse (x,y position, clicks) and keyboard (keydown, keyup) and passes that to the running client programs, which return information to be displayed on the screen. Therefore, it's convenient for the operating system to specify both the input and output interfaces in the same configuration file.

Comment

Thanks guys for the help.
        Aysiu, I tried the sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup
        I got an error saying that /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup did not exist.

I am assuming I had to type sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup
        then hit enter and then type in kdesu kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        so I didnt get to step 2.

I am thinking of reinstalling Kubuntu,and then trying to fix the monitor with the info on the refresh rate(but I will trythe code again before reinstalling.) .
        Thanks for the link. (as far as Dell guaranteeing the centering, I dont know about that. ) Cos this monitor is set to default everything.
        I have a dual setup with wondows using the dvi ports of the monitors connected from a different cpu. And I have linux on the dsub of one of the monitors from another computer. So all I do is push a button on the monitor and switch between linux and windows.
        Also, this same thing happened when I tried mepis (even pre-ubuntu mepis).

askrieger: thanks for that explanation. as you can see I am still a linux infant. Reading everything I can find . cos I really want this thing to work.
        Thanks again.
        cheers

Comment

Working...
        X