This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my hyphen key is missing....

okay, so I'm running Kubuntu on a machine now that does not have it's hyphen key. The button beneath where the key normally is does not respond to touch either. This has created numerous difficulties (as you might imagine) when trying to type in any number of commands at the command prompt when I open up Konsole. I admit, it's pretty derned amusing, but it's also ridiculously frustrating.
    Currently, I'm searching for a program I can use to make the = key my hyphen key, and possibly rearrange the num lock or something to be the = key.

anyway, bottom line is this: what's a good program to reconfigure my keyboard layout, and where do I download it?

and please tell me it's a debian package....otherwise i'll need some instructions on installing...

thanks for any help, folks!

Re: my hyphen key is missing....

Originally posted by whistler122
    okay, so I'm running Kubuntu on a machine now that does not have it's hyphen key. The button beneath where the key normally is does not respond to touch either.
    I have to ask ... have you tried a different keyboard? Used they're cheap as dirt ...
    WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Comment

it's a laptop. I suppose I could simply hook up a keyboard via usb or whatnot, but deskspace isn't exactly a luxury.

Comment

If you're sure it's a faulty keyboard, you can either modify your layout by editing xkb symbols or remap the key with xmodmap. Which route to take is a matter of preference. (I'd lean towards xmodmap in your case)

1. xkb:
        If you're using us layout, editing /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us should do the trick

2. xmodmap
        you can read the man page for instructions, but basically you can put an .Xmodmap file with remapped keycodes in your $HOME folder an it should run automatically. You can test whether it works by manually running 'xmodmap ~/.Xmopmap')

Comment

Working...
        X