Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CUPS - Job stopped due to filter errors.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUPS - Job stopped due to filter errors.

I've just installed my Dell A940 printer in CUPS (on hardy) with the drivers from a Lexmark z55, I've been told they are exactly the same.

When I try to print in the error log it says "Job stopped due to filter errors.". In the config file I've pretty much changed all the requirements to "Allow All".

I'm using CUPS 1.3.7.

When I click on "Manage Printers" in the CUPS interface I see the message "/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz55 failed" above the printer info.

The printer state says " idle, accepting jobs, published. ". When I try to print a test page it just says error on the job list, and I receive the error at the error in the log:

Code:
    E [14/Sep/2008:12:19:04 +0100] PID 7656 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz55) stopped with status 127!
    E [14/Sep/2008:12:19:07 +0100] [Job 7] Job stopped due to filter errors.
    I've been trying all weekend to fix this, but I really need help now as I am failing to make any progress.

Thanks to anyone that has any suggestions.

Re: CUPS - Job stopped due to filter errors.

Have a look at http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/...rinter-in.html

It says that: By default the wrong driver is installed for the Z55 which causes the printer to squeal and fail to print. A driver is available from the Lexmark website for Linux rpm distributions.

It tells you how to install the rpm.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks,

But I have been looking at the same page and I've done all those steps, including downloading the correct driver from the lexmark website.

I'm really stuck!

I had a feeling it was a permissions problem, could this be the case?

Comment

Please somebody help me, I'm about to fork out for a new printer, but I've heard people have got it working!

Here is what I am getting in the error log:

Code:
        I [15/Sep/2008:21:01:00 +0100] [Job 22] Held by "root".
        I [15/Sep/2008:21:01:02 +0100] [Job 22] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 9092)
        I [15/Sep/2008:21:01:02 +0100] [Job 22] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (PID 9093)
        I [15/Sep/2008:21:01:02 +0100] [Job 22] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz55 (PID 9095)
        I [15/Sep/2008:21:01:02 +0100] [Job 22] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb (PID 9096)
        I [15/Sep/2008:21:01:02 +0100] [Job 22] Released by "root".
        E [15/Sep/2008:21:01:02 +0100] PID 9095 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz55) stopped with status 127!
        I [15/Sep/2008:21:01:02 +0100] Hint: Try setting the LogLevel to "debug" to find out more.
        E [15/Sep/2008:21:01:05 +0100] [Job 22] Job stopped due to filter errors.
        Someone out there has got to know the solution! Any suggestions are welcome, even if you think they are a long shot!

Thanks

Comment

I just followed the instructions for installing on Hardy and installed on my laptop running Dapper and the printer worked perfectly, so this must be an issue with hardy itself.

http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/...rinter-in.html

But the link above says it's supposed to work with hardy, not dapper!

Both my laptop running dapper and my desktop running hardy have exactly the same rastertoz55 file which is causing the error, so could this be a permissions problem, or a problem with hardy itself?

I may have to downgrade

Comment

I came across this slightly different howto install z55 at http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-481213.html. Scroll down to the post by ricflomag. It certainly installs in Hardy - but I am unable to test it on a printer.
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Arochester, thank you so much! I followed the instructions and the printer now works perfectly!

Comment

Working...
              X